Close sidebar

Six Nations 2016: The Official Team Of The Weekend Contains Some Interesting Choices

England v Wales - RBS Six Nations

England only have one more player than Italy included.

As fans, we know that picking a team of the weekend is a fairly subjective process. Nonetheless, we generally agree on up to 75% of selections in any such team. This often leads to long debates as to the composition of the remaining 25%, most of which are in good nature.

Indeed, after last weekend’s action, it was generally accepted Maro Itoje was the stand out performer of round four, quickly followed by the likes of WP Nel, who destroyed the French scrum.

Although Guilhem Guirado felt Nel’s destructive power in the French front row, his leadership and all round performance in Murrayfield also sees the captain of les bleus included.

However, while Ireland impressed against Italy, their massive victory must be seen within the context of Italy’s poor showing. Therefore, it was strange to see that Ireland had five players included.

Indeed, despite Donnacha Ryan winning the man of the match award against the Italians, tournament organisers have opted for Devon Toner in the second row.

Nevertheless, although many will disagree with the official team of the weekend, we can at least have fun doing so.

Alan Drumm, Pundit Arena

Read More About: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.