On Tuesday morning, Lions fans were gutted to hear the news that Stuart Hogg had been forced to withdraw from the tour after suffering a freak injury during the Lions clash with the Crusaders.
Although many had expected the Scottish fullback to be fit in time for the Lions first test against the All Blacks, coach Warren Gatland explained that a specialist had warned them that, were he to rush his return, Hogg could lose his eyesight.
“We saw about four different specialists, one said he might be alright in 17 days but the other said this is a reasonably serious injury with the possibility that if he did play he could lose his sight.
I said to him, ‘look, it’s only a game of rugby, your health is more important so just make sure you get yourself right’ so he understood that.”
Speaking about the player’s state of mind Gatland explained that Hogg was feeling very down when he first learned that his tour was over.
“He’s pretty disappointed, he was pretty upset yesterday which was completely understandable. The start of the tour, he’s been involved in the two wins that we’ve had… it’s just a freak accident you know, running into Conor Murray’s elbow.
So he’s absolutely gutted, we’re really feeling for him. Hopefully, his recovery will be ok and he can get back to playing rugby,” Gatland told Sky Sports.
However, it seems that Hogg has quickly realised that there is no point dwelling in his own misery and has instead decided to get on with things and support the Lions from the sidelines.
Posting on his official Instagram account, the 24-year-old confirmed he was in the stadium for the tourists’ clash with the Highlanders on Tuesday morning before then adding two further images suggesting that he is in reasonably upbeat spirits despite his unfortunate injury.
It’s great to see the Scotsman looking on the bright side of things after such a massive blow and, at just 24-years of age, there’s no doubt that we will be seeing the Glasgow man in the red of the Lions at some point in the future.