Home Rugby Wales Produce Stunning Comeback To End England’s Grand Slam Dream

Wales Produce Stunning Comeback To End England’s Grand Slam Dream

Wales produced a stunning second-half performance to beat England 21-13 at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff. 

Warren Gatland’s side found themselves 3-10 down at halftime but they took control in the second 40 to produce an incredible comeback to emerge eight-point victors.

The crowd who packed into the Principality Stadium in Cardiff had to wait until the 18th minute for the first points of the game to be scored when Owen Farrell converted a penalty after Rob Evans was penalised at scrum time.

Preceding that, the opening 18 minutes was a frantic affair with England’s suffocating line speed constantly stopping the Welsh in their tracks.

The visitors had an opportunity to open the scoring after just two minutes when Justin Tipuric was harshly penalised but Elliot Daly’s long-range attempt at goal was well off the target.

After Farrell’s opening penalty, Gareth Anscombe got his side back on level terms when he slotted over a penalty which was a result of a no-arms tackle from English prop Kyle Sinckler.

England got the first try of the game after 26 minutes as Tom Curry scored for the first time at senior international Test level.

The dynamic openside reacted quickest to pluck the ball from the base of a ruck to find a huge gap to ultimately ground the ball over the line. Farrell converted to give England a 3-10 lead with just over 10 minutes remaining.

Wales England Six Nations

Although Wales dominated territory and possession in the opening 40 minutes, they were undone time and time again by England’s deadly line speed. Some excellent chasing from Jonny May saw the winger tackle Liam Williams into touch which gave his side a brilliant opportunity to get another score on the stroke of halftime.

However, from the resulting lineout maul, Wales turned over the ball after subsequent phases to kick it into touch to end a breathless first half.

England looked dangerous at the beginning of the second half as a Jack Nowell linebreak almost produced something special but it was Wales who got off the mark first when Anscombe slotted a penalty on 52 minutes to narrow England’s winning margin to just four points.

England’s discipline began to waver as the Welsh support’s long calls for English offside were finally heard by referee Jaco Peyper. With the advantage, Sinckler blocked Anscombe after the Welsh out-half chipped through.

Kyle Sinckler England Wales Six Nations

Sinckler gave away a penalty on the next passage of play for an arm around the neck of Alun Wyn Jones. After Peyper warned captain Farrell about his teammate’s deteriorating discipline, Anscombe brought the game back to just one point between the sides.

With all the momentum with Wales, try-scorer Curry stepped up with a big play when he latched onto Hadleigh Parkes to win a turnover. Farrell landed the resulting penalty kick to put four points between the teams once again.

The seesaw nature of this match continued as Wales responded by going through an incredible 35 phases which ultimately saw Cory Hill crash over after George North was brought down just short of the line. Dan Biggar, who replaced Anscombe seven minutes previously, landed the touchline conversion to give Wales the lead for the first time in the game at 16-13.

Wales England Six Nations

The final 10 minutes saw Wales dominate possession and a scrum in the England 22 with less than three minutes remaining saw the ball played to Biggar who put in an inch perfect cross field kick.

Josh Adams rose highest to beat Daly in the air and when it looked like the Welsh winger was about to knock the ball on, he recollected to stretch over and ground the ball to send Cardiff into raptures.

About Sean McMahon

Sean is Head of Pundit Arena Rugby. Contact him on Twitter here: