We’re just two days away from the eagerly anticipated clash between Saracens and Munster in the Heineken Champions Cup semi-final.
These two sides have faced off many times before in the past and there will be no shortage of familiarity with players on both sides having played against each other on the international stage in addition to being on the same side during the 2017 British and Irish Lions tour.
Here, we take a look at some of the key match facts before Saturday’s clash at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry (KO 15:00).
Saracens v Munster Match Facts
– In this tournament, Saracens have won three of their last four fixtures against Munster after losing each of their first four meetings prior to this run.
– These sides have met each other twice at the semi-final stage with one win apiece. Munster won 18-16 at the Ricoh Arena in 2008 en route to their second title while most recently, Saracens got the better of the southern province 26-10 at the Aviva Stadium in 2017 where Mark McCall’s side also went on to win the title that year.
– This is the sixth time in the last seven seasons that Saracens have reached the semi-final stage and they have progressed to the final three times in their last four appearances.
– This will be Munster’s 14th semi-final appearance which is a tournament record but they have lost their last six.
Saracens v Munster Key Stats
– Saracens have averaged more points (34.4) and tries (4.3) per game than any other side this season
– Munster have averaged fewer metres (280) and breaks (5) per game. They have also averaged the most kicks during play (25).
– CJ Stander and Alex Goode are two of five players who have played the maximum 560 minutes this season.
– CJ Stander has made the most tackles so far in this competition (112) and is one of three players who have made 100+ carries alongside Bill Mata and James Ryan.
– Munster’s Tadhg Beirne has secured the most turnovers in the competition with 14 to his name.
– Out of the 16 players to make 30+ throws, Jamie George has hit the target 94% of the time which is the best rate.
Saracens v Munster Head-To-Head Record
Wins: Saracens 3 Munster 5
Losses: Saracens 5 Munster 3
2018/19 Points Scorers
Owen Farrell – 57
Alex Lozowski – 25
Ben Spencer – 24
Joey Carbery – 70
JJ Hanrahan – 20
Keith Earls – 15