Close sidebar

Ireland Embarrassed At Twickenham As England Run Riot

Ireland England

England 57 Ireland 15

Ireland suffered their second consecutive defeat to England this year after they fell to an embarrassing 57-15 loss at Twickenham in their second World Cup warm-up game.

Despite Owen Farrell opening the scoring after seven minutes with a penalty, it was Ireland who started the brighter and they went ahead after nine minutes thanks to a Jordan Larmour try.

The move began as George Kruis won a lineout for England but Iain Henderson was able to rip the ball as England attempted to set up a maul.

The ball was sent wide to Jacob Stockdale and the Ulster winger chipped ahead into space where the bounce fortuned the away side as Larmour was on hand to collect and touch down. Ross Byrne, on his first start for Ireland, converted to give Ireland a 7-3 lead.

Ireland England

England hit back almost immediately when a fantastic setpiece move saw the ball collected out wide by the powerful Joe Cokanasiga. The winger had too much space and pace as he dotted down in the corner. Farrell’s conversion was off-target as England edged into a one-point 8-7 lead.

Despite the setback, Ireland continued to dominate territory but they were thwarted by the likes of Maro Itoje who proved problematic at lineout time for Joe Schmidt’s side

England began to show their dominance but an excellent turnover from Henderson on the deck gave Byrne an opportunity to put Ireland back into the lead and he did so with a 26th-minute penalty.

It was here, however, that Ireland’s day began to unravel.

A sloppy pass from CJ Stander put Ireland on the back foot and led to a difficult clearance from Byrne. From the setpiece platform, England utilised their powerful runners to get over the gain-line and as Ireland desperately defended, Conor Murray injured himself when attempting to tackle Jonny May.

Ireland England

With a man down, England struck.

They sent the ball wide where Elliot Daly was on hand to take advantage of the overlap. It was an easy run-in for the England fullback and Farrell’s conversion saw England go 15-10 ahead.

Luke McGrath came on for Murray as the Munster scrum-half was sent for a HIA.

In the meantime, Ireland’s lineout malfunctioned further and two lineout steals from England, the second of which from George Kruis, saw play brought to just a few metres from the Irish line. Peter O’Mahony almost won a turnover but he knocked on when attempting to do so.

From the resulting scrum under the posts, the ball was sent to Manu Tuilagi and he powered through a gap for England’s third try of the game. The successful conversion gave England a 22-10 lead at halftime.

Ireland England

It took five minutes for England to go further ahead in the second half. Another lineout loss on Ireland’s own throw saw quick possession handed to England and they took advantage as a quick pass to Itoje saw the towering lock waltz through a gap and dot down under the posts. The conversion was a formality for Farrell and England went 29-10 ahead.

It kept getting worse for Ireland who repeatedly invited pressure on themselves. A ball kicked out on the full by Ross Byrne gave England an excellent lineout option deep in Irish territory.

The ball went through a number of phases before space opened up on the far touchline as Jonny May charged towards the line before the ball eventually found George Kruis who crashed over for England’s fifth.

Ireland England

Minutes later, England got their sixth. A beautiful pop pass from Kyle Sinckler to Sam Underhill saw the openside break through the Irish defence before he laid off a pass to the supporting Tom Curry who ran in under the posts.

With a 43-10 lead, there was still 20 minutes left and with 15 minutes to go, England hit the 50 point mark.

A touchline scrum saw Cokanasiga pop up in midfield as he burst through a gap to take advantage of some desperate Irish defending. Under the posts and an easy conversion, England were now ahead by 40 points.

Bundee Aki reduced the arrears as his try in the corner brought it back to 50-15. However, that didn’t stop Ireland from continuing to press the self-destruct button as they overthrew a lineout close to their own line as Luke Cowan-Dickie collected and crashed over the line for the final try of the game.

Read More About: , , ,

Author: Sean McMahon

Sean is Deputy Editor and head rugby writer. You can contact him by email or on Twitter