Home Rugby Rory Best Bows Out Following Glasgow’s Dismantling Of Ulster

Rory Best Bows Out Following Glasgow’s Dismantling Of Ulster

Guinness PRO14 Semi-Final, Scotstoun, Scotland 17/5/2019 Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Ulster's Rory Best dejected after Ali Price scored Glasgow's second try Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Billy Stickland

Glasgow Warriors 50

Ulster Rugby 20

Rory Best’s career in an Ulster jersey came to a disappointing end as they were defeated by Glasgow Warriors in their Guinness PRO 14 semi-final at Scotstoun.

The pre-match talk centred on the return of Jacob Stockdale after the Irish international was named at full-back, however, a late injury to Robert Baloucoune meant he was replaced by Michael Lowry who started at full-back, thus moving Stockdale back out to his familiar wing position.

Glasgow were the favourites going into the encounter and showed why early on with some impressive link-up play as the held onto possession and put Ulster under some early pressure.

Their pressure told in the fourth minute when Tommy Seymour went over for the game’s first try.

It got worse for Ulster 14 minutes later when a lapse in focus allowed Scotland international, Ali Price, to race over for Glasgow’s second try with Hastings converting for the second time in the match to put them 14-0 to the good.

Hastings and John Cooney exchanged penalties to leave the score 17-3 heading into half-time but then disaster struck for Ulster as Rob Harley crashed over the line to put three scores between the teams and all but effectively kill the game as a contest before half-time.

Seymour went over for his second try of the evening after 56 minutes to firmly put the nail in Ulster’s coffin, however, Hastings missed the conversion attempt.

Ulster misery compounded two minutes later when Kyle Steyn’s try made it 36-3 to Glasgow with 22 minutes remaining.

ulster rugby

Ulster were then handed a consolation try when Marcell Coetzee crashed over in the corner but Billy Burns missed the conversion attempt to leave the score at 36-8.

The route continued when replacement, Pete Horne, scored with 13 minutes remaining before Hastings converted to bring Glasgow’s tally to over 40 points for the evening.

Rob Herring then scored off the back of a scrum for Ulster to narrow the gap once more before Burns converted to make it 43-15.

ulster rugby

There was to be two further tries in the closing minutes. George Horne went over first for Glasgow’s seventh try of the evening before Lowry scored Ulster’s third try leaving the score 50-20 at the end.

It’s Glasgow Warriors who march on the Guinness PRO 14 final which will take place, ironically at Parkhead, the home of Glasgow Celtic.

They will face the winners of Leinster and Munster who face off tomorrow at 2.30 pm.

About Michael Corry

Sports Journalist based in Dublin. Hit me up if you have a unique story to tell. Email: michael@punditarena.com Twitter: @Corry_10 Instagram: @Corry_10