Israel Folau and Rugby Australia are heading for a court date after the parties could not agree on a settlement at the Fair Work Commission.
A four-hour mediation session was held on Friday, however, no agreement was reached following Folau’s sacking for a high-level breach of the players’ code of conduct earlier this month.
“We are disappointed that we were unable to reach a settlement with Rugby Australia today,” one of Folau’s lawyers told reporters.
“It appears as though that unless things change, we’ll be heading to court.”
Folau said he was “very disappointed with the outcome”.
“But I’d like to thank all those that have supported me throughout this time. I will continue to stand up for the freedoms of all Australians,” he said.
The 30-year-old had been hoping for an apology from the governing body following the termination of his multi-million dollar contract.
Folau believes he was unfairly dismissed on religious grounds and is seeking $10 million in damages from Rugby Australia as well as his contract reinstated.
The former Waratahs player had appealed for the public’s help in raising money for his legal costs, setting up a GoFundMe page that raised over $700,000 in a matter of days.
However, his page was taken down from the site earlier this week for violating their terms and conditions.
The Australian Christian Lobby group subsequently set up a fundraiser for Folau on their page and donations have exceeded $2 million.