Ireland dealt with yet another injury blow as Hugo Keenan fractures his thumb

Ireland’s Six Nations build-up has been a full-blown injury nightmare, and now it’s got worse. Hugo Keenan, Ireland’s rock-solid No. 15, has been forced out after fracturing his thumb in training in Portugal. 

The full-back had only just returned from hip surgery and was set to make his long-awaited comeback in the opening game against France. Instead, Ireland must face Les Bleus without their most reliable back as they look to win another Six Nations after being dethroned last year.

Keenan’s absence is a huge blow. Since breaking into the squad in 2020, he has been the heartbeat of Ireland’s backline, earning 49 caps and delivering in big moments, including the match-winning try in the second test for the Lions in Australia last summer. Losing him now is more than just a tactical headache; it’s a major psychological blow.

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/2016515760995107302

Hugo Keenan loss another badly timed injury for Ireland ahead of the Six Nations

The timing couldn’t be worse. This is not a single injury problem; it’s a full-scale crisis. Mack Hansen, who lit up the November Tests with a stunning hat-trick from full-back, is already ruled out with a foot injury. 

Jamie Osborne hasn’t played since the autumn due to a shoulder issue. That leaves Andy Farrell scrambling for options, with Jacob Stockdale, Ciarán Frawley, and Jack Crowley suddenly thrown into the spotlight for the 15 jersey.

Farrell’s squad is already a patchwork of replacements, with key players such as Robbie Henshaw, Calvin Nash, Jimmy O’Brien, Shayne Bolton, Jordan Larmour, Andrew Porter, Ryan Baird, Jack Boyle, Paddy McCarthy, and Tom Ahern all sidelined.

Ireland will also have to prepare for Sthe ix Nations without the influential Bundee Aki

Elsewhere another issue Ireland are dealing with is the fact Connacht centre Bundee Aki has been cited by the URC for allegedly making comments directed at match officials during last weekend’s defeat to Leinster. 

The IRFU have dropped Aki and said they are conducting their own internal investigation and said: “The IRFU does not tolerate any form of disrespect shown towards match officials and does not condone actions that fall below the standards expected of players representing Irish rugby.”

Ireland’s injury list reads like a roll call of first-choice talent, and the clock is ticking. With next Thursday’s clash with France in Paris getting closer, Ireland must now regroup, adapt, and hope their depth can withstand the pressure of a championship already being defined by a massive injury headache.

Experienced sports journalist with expertise in GAA (Gaelic games), football, cricket, rugby and more. I frequently cover GAA for Irish daily national newspapers, the GAA, and Irish state broadcaster RTÉ. I am also on the media teams at London & Dublin GAA. My football experience includes work at professional football clubs such as Queens Park Rangers, Wimbledon and Arsenal. I have also covered major competitions such as the Champions League and Euro 2024. Outside of the sports above, I co-ran the official social media channels of the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games.

Related posts