It turns out Conor McGregor’s claims regarding UFC 222 were very much true…
Just over a week ago, Conor McGregor announced that he would be fighting again (period) and also claimed that he had tried to step in to take on Frankie Edgar at UFC 222 after Max Holloway had withdrawn with injury.
Although several UFC stars (including Holloway) scoffed at the Irishman’s claims, Dana White was asked about the reports after UFC 222 on Saturday night and confirmed that McGregor’s statement was very much true.
Speaking about the SBG star’s desire to step in and take on Frankie Edgar, the UFC President stated that although McGregor’s interest was very real, it was never really close to happening.
‘No (it wasn’t close to realistic) but it’s true. He did say ‘I’ll take that fight with Frankie Edgar’. But he’s not in that weight division and we had already made the fight. The fight was already made between Ortega and Frankie when Conor said ‘I’ll take that fight’.
And when he said he’d take it there was something like 24 days left to the event or something like that. Nothing about it made sense.’
Check out the UFC President discussing Conor McGregor’s interest in making a comeback at UFC 222 below.