With Conor McGregor’s new film ‘Notorious’ set to be released this week, the SBG star sat down for several media interviews on Tuesday in order to promote the documentary.
It’s now been over two months since Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather locked horns in Las Vegas and countless MMA fans are now on the edge of their seats with regard to the Irishman’s return to the Octagon.
Speaking in Glasgow last month, McGregor listed several potential opponents for his UFC return but refused to single any one contender out as the most realistic option.
However, speaking to Entertainment.ie on Tuesday, the 29-year-old suggested that Tony Ferguson is now the clear standout option.
“I’ve got everyone clawing at me, trying to get at me, and that’s from multiple sports, multiple organizations, multiple everything,” McGregor said. “It’s been like that for a long, long time, I feel, so it’s just another day for me. I know there are many contenders in the UFC. There are many boxing contenders as well. What interests me is certainly a UFC bout, certainly a defense of my lightweight title. There is a fighter with the interim lightweight belt. I feel that will be next. We’ll see how negotiations go.”
McGregor did also acknowledge a trilogy fight with Nate Diaz as a potential bout but, he then reiterated that his desire is now to ‘legitimize the belt’ before revealing that he is in contract negotiations regarding a Tony Ferguson bout.
“The Diaz trilogy is also there,” McGregor said. “I can defend my belt against Nate. Maybe we can persuade one of these boxing opponents to step into the Octagon, or there’s also boxing bouts as well. So, there are so many options.”
“I feel to legitimize the belt — there’s an interim champion, I’m the unified champion — I feel that will be next. We are currently in contract negotiations, and we’ll see where it goes.”