“It doesn’t take anything away from the win. What he says doesn’t change anything…
After suffering a shock loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio at UFC Glasgow over the weekend, Gunnar Nelson stated that, although he didn’t want to make excuses, his vision had been severely impaired after suffering an eye-gouge early on in the bout.
The following afternoon, SBG coach John Kavanagh posted footage on his official Twitter account proving that not only had Nelson been poked in his eye once, it seemed to happen on multiple occasions.
Doubt it was gameplan or intentional but try having depth perception after getting fingers shoved in eyes repeatedly https://t.co/66H6YrTT6T
— Coach Kavanagh (@John_Kavanagh) July 17, 2017
Riding a five fight win streak, Ponzinibbio himself has now responded to the accusations by shrugging them off and offering no apologies whatsoever for what went on inside the Octagon in Glasgow.
“I went there to knock him out and thank God it went as expected, I won by knockout,” Ponzinibbio said, per MMA Fighting’s Guilherme Cruz. “If (the eye poke) happened, of course, it wasn’t intentional, but I watched the video again and didn’t see it. I don’t know. But it was a knockout with the right hand that I landed on him. The right hand hurt him and I finished with a precise jab.
“It doesn’t take anything away from the win. What he says doesn’t change anything. There’s a referee inside the Octagon looking at it, and he can stop the fight anytime he wants. The No. 8 in the world lasted 82 seconds. He’s 28, he’s versatile, a great athlete, one of the best in the division, has a bright future in the UFC, will be at the top, but it was an excellent win. (He) lasted 82 seconds.”