Close sidebar

NSAC Director Reveals Real Fine For Conor McGregor; Claims Media Got It Wrong

Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission Bob Bennett has said that UFC Featherweight champion Conor McGregor was actually only fined $75,000 for his involvement in an August water bottle throwing incident with Nate Diaz, instead of the $150,000 figure that was widely reported by media outlets last week.

McGregor’s fine for his involvement in the fiasco was initially set at $25,000, but due to the commission’s overall disappointment with the fighter’s role in the incident, they increased the fine to $150,000 at a recent hearing which was 5% of his $3 million purse for UFC 202.

According to Bennett, this figure is wrong, with the real fine said to be only $75,000.

“It appears the media and others got it wrong,” Bennett told MMA Fighting.

McGregor’s $75,000 fine is representative of 2.5% percent of his $3 million purse, instead of the original 5%, which does not include his pay-per-view share and other bonuses.

The state attorney general’s office’s initial recommendation was a $25,000 fine and 25 hours of community service for McGregor, but the commissioners motioned and voted for more with the Dubliner receiving a $75,000 fine and 50 hours of community service, in addition to having to feature in a video shoot as part of a public service announcement on behalf of the commission.

McGregor responded emphatically to the fines telling UFC President Dana White that ‘he did not want to fight in Nevada again‘ and that the NSAC would be hard pressed trying to force him to pay the fine.

When speaking to Rolling Stone (via MMA Junkie) on Friday, McGregor said that he was uninterested in paying the fine and that the commission would have to try and force him to pay it.

“Whatever,” McGregor said regarding the NSAC fine.

“It is what it is. Good luck trying to get it.”

McGregor said that he felt a little disrespected by the severity of the fine despite thoroughly owning up to his actions at a recent commission hearing.

“I thought they might respect a little bit more,” McGregor added.

“I owned up. I man’d up. I’m here. I apologised. I’m not trying to blame nobody, although they fired the rounds off first.

“I didn’t think they would even go that route because I didn’t think this was like a real thing. Are they going to come and arrest me or what the fuck is that?”

Bennett said that he was disappointed in McGregor’s comments and said that he believed the Irishman’s frustrations stemmed from the fact that he didn’t know how the commission’s fining system worked.

LAS VEGAS, NV - AUGUST 20: Conor McGregor (L) hits Nate Diaz with a left during their welterweight rematch at the UFC 202 event at T-Mobile Arena on August 20, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images)

“I understand that he’s upset,” Bennett said. “I understand that he commands a phenomenal following and paydays and he’s a world-renowned champ. I get that he’s frustrated — $75,000 is a lot of money. But I think the remark is inappropriate. In fairness to Conor — and I say this with the utmost respect — I just don’t think he understands how the system works when he’s fined.”

McGregor’s hefty fine has received heavy criticism for it’s severity with many believing that the NSAC overstepped the mark with regards to their punishment of the Dubliner.

This is the second time in the last 13 months that the commission have come under fire for a heavy fine after  UFC Welterweight Nick Diaz received a five year suspension and a $165,000 fine for failing a third drug test in January 2015.

Jack O’Toole, Pundit Arena

Read More About: , , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.