UFC 219, the last event of the year for MMA’s top promotion has long had a space to fill at the top of the billing and now, if reports are to be believed, a massive clash is in the works for the December 30th event.
It had initially been thought that interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson would get a title shot against Conor McGregor but following the Irishman’s antics at Bellator 187 last week, the long awaited return of the champion appears to have been pushed back.
With the event a little over a month away, UFC bosses have yet to announce just who will headline the billing for hte Las Vegas event.
Now, according to numerous sources, a clash between Tyron Woodley and none other than Nate Diaz for the welterweight title, is currently being lined up to fill the void.
I’m told that Nate Diaz is currently finalizing the deals for his next fight. I was not given the opponent but was told “Nate’s supporters will love this matchup”.
— Chris Taylor (@CTaylor_96) November 14, 2017
With BJPenn.com journalist Chris Taylor among the first to latch onto rumours of Diaz’s return to the octagon, MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani confirmed that Conor McGregor’s nemesis is indeed in talks and that his prospective opponent is none other than Tyron Woodley.
This was the rabbit in the hat I eluded to yesterday on the show. No deal yet, I’m told. They are getting creative. Couple other ideas, too. Event is 6 weeks away and no main event. https://t.co/96XuOBHzll
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 15, 2017
While both fighters, Diaz and Woodley, are reportedly in talks about a clash, the two have not yet been included in the same sentence by UFC officials.
On paper, a clash between the pair would certainly be interesting. Woodley has navigated a number of title defences this past year but the measured and defensive manner in which he won those clashes has failed to inspire fans.
Diaz, by contrast, is more than happy to push forward and following his two high profile contests with McGregor, is certainly one of the biggest draws in the business at this time.
A match-up between the heavy hands of Woodley and the zombie-like go-forward mentality of Diaz would likely make for an enthralling headline contest.
With UFC 219 now only around the corner, fans can well expect that UFC president Dana White will be announcing his headline clash sooner rather than later.
If he is still looking for ideas, Woodley Vs Diaz certainly has a ring to it.