Close sidebar

Mike Perry Announces Opponent For February Show In His Hometown

His defeat to Santiago Ponzinibbio just three weeks behind him, Mike Perry has already signed on for another assignment.

During an appearance on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, Perry told Ariel Helwani that he had put pen to paper, agreeing to a fight at UFC on Fox 28 in his hometown of Orlando next month. He did not, however, name his opponent at that time.

“I can’t say a name, I don’t know if he’s signed his bout agreement, but I signed a bout agreement today. I signed one today, so we’ll see if he signs his and I’m ready to perform,” said Perry(via MMAFighting).

Not long afterwards, Perry dropped the name on social media.

“Pumped to fight here in Orlando where I live! [Max ‘Pain’ Griffin] is trying to bring the pain in my city! We about the #PlatinumParties here in the O,” Perry wrote on Instagram. “Welcome this man into Our City and I will set #FireWorks off inside the [Amway Center] February 24th!”

Griffin had already claimed to be Perry’s opponent roughly an hour previous.

A claim to which Perry subsequently responded in typically hilarious fashion.

“I welcome you to my city with open arms but closed fists mother fucker,” wrote the man they call ‘Platinum’ in the comments section accompanying Griffins post.

On paper at least, this appears to be an easier match-up for Perry than his previous one against the surging, highly-ranked Ponzinibbio. Griffin has lost two of his three fights since joining the UFC with a 12-2 record in 2016. In his debut, the 32-year-old Californian was stopped in the third round by Colby Covington at UFC 202. He bounced back with a first-round TKO win over Erick Montano a few of months later but then dropped a decision to on-form Brazilian Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos in October of 2017.

Perry made his UFC debut the same night as Griffin, scoring a first-round stoppage win over Hyun Gyu Lim. Just seven weeks later he moved to 2-0 in the promotion and 9-0 overall with another stoppage win, this time over Danny Roberts. In December of 2016, however, he suffered the first defeat of his career, dropping a unanimous decision to Alan Jouban. The 26-year-old Floridian got back to his savage ways in 2017 though, blowing both Jake Ellenberger and Alex Reyes away in brutal fashion. December, however, once again brought a setback for the popular Perry, as Ponzinibbio pipped him in a gripping war.

The UFC has yet to make the bout official.

Fights that have been made official for the card thus far include a welterweight bout between Mike Perry’s December 2016 conqueror Alan Jouban and Ben Saunders, a middleweight scrap between Yoel Romero and David Branch, a women’s strawweight bout between Jessica Andrade and Tecia Torres, and Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier at lightweight.

Read More About: , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.