It looks like that Bellator fiasco may very well have serious consequences for Conor McGregor…
Last month, UFC President Dana White stated on multiple occasions that both Conor McGregor and the promotion itself wanted the Irishman to headline UFC 219 on December 30th. Not only this, White also stated that the SBG star’s next opponent was already set in stone as he stated that only one fight made sense for McGregor’s comeback.
Tony’s the interim champion, Conor’s the champion. It’s the fight that makes sense.
It’s the fight that has to happen – it doesn’t ‘make sense,’ it’s the fight that has to happen.
However, after McGregor was involved in some shocking scenes at a Bellator event in Dublin earlier this month, Dana White has gone into hiding as reports have circulated suggesting that the Irishman was pulled from the December 30th event.
As of yet, no one knows what the UFC’s official stance on the McGregor’s conduct will be, however, with many suggesting a ban should be levied against the Dubliner, the promotion’s light heavyweight champion dropped a very worrying update regarding McGregor’s UFC future on Wednesday.
Claiming that Khabib Nurmagomedov had been offered the main event slot against McGregor’s mooted opponent (Tony Ferguson) at UFC 219, Daniel Cormier also announced that the interim champion had been told that a fight vs the ‘Notorious’ one was now never going to happen.
So I walk into the gym today and @khabib_nurmagomedov walks up and says the @Ufc is wanting to make me vs @tonyfergusonxt for dec 30. They wanna make the card bigger for end of the year. Then he tells me that tony is saying no to the fight. Come on Tony, that ain’t gangsta bruh. Take the fight man!!!! And by the way Ufc says tony won’t ever fight Conor so that’s not an option. The fans really want it. Come on My friend, hit him with that low single u always talk about. #khabibchamp #weareaka
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) November 22, 2017
If the UFC are indeed certain that McGregor will ‘never fight’ the opponent the President had only recently claimed he’d have to, then it certainly suggests that the Irishman’s return to the promotion is now very much up in the air.
McGregor was stripped of his featherweight title last year having not defended his belt in just over 11 months. It has now been over a year since he first won the lightweight title at UFC 205 and, given this latest turn of events, don’t be shocked if another stripping is around the corner.