Khabib Nurmagomedov said he specifically asked for Conor McGregor to replace Tony Ferguson in the UFC 223 main event.
Given the fact that Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson had been cancelled on three occasions prior to UFC 223, Conor McGregor seemed to be suggesting last week that he would be ready to step in should the fight fall apart for the fourth time.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 24, 2018
However, despite his insistence that he was ‘staying ready’, it looks as if McGregor wasn’t interested in stepping in when the news broke over the weekend that Tony Ferguson was forced to withdraw from the UFC 223 main event with an injured knee.
Be ready stay on the line
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) March 24, 2018
Addressing the fallout after Ferguson’s withdrawal and Max Holloway’s decision to step in, Khabib stated that he had specifically asked Dana to give him Conor in Brooklyn this weekend.
‘My first option when Tony’s out I say ‘hey, where’s Conor? Bring Conor. Is he champ? Bring this guy.
He post message saying like ‘I’m staying ready bla bla bla’ but now when UFC call him he’s not ready… Dana told me about Conor ‘hey, now he have very good sponsorship with Burger King he have to look nice, we don’t want to change his face’ so I said ‘ok, now I understand’.
Khabib went on to slate McGregor’s inactivity over the past year while he also announced that he will look to take on Georges St-Pierre once he takes care of business this weekend.