Former UFC Welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has said that a rematch with Nick Diaz is “very possible” after St. Pierre defeated Diaz by unanimous decision at UFC 158 in 2013.
Speaking to MMA Fighting on Thursday to promote his new movie “Kickboxer: Vengeance”, St. Pierre said that “it could be very possible to happen” and that “it would be fun to do it again”.
“I beat him, but there was a lot of animosity,” St-Pierre said of their fight at UFC 158.
“I didn’t feel I fought well that fight. He says I poisoned him and all that kind of stuff. Whatever. He has very good excuses. Even myself, I could make excuses, but I’m not that type of guy. Trust me when I say I didn’t fight as well as I wanted to and it would be fun to do it again.”
St. Pierre has not had a MMA fight in over three years with his last bout inside the octagon occurring at UFC 167, where he retained the welterweight title after a split decision victory over Johnny Hendricks.
The two-time Welterweight champion took a hiatus away from the sport following the Hendricks fight but looked to be back on track for a return to the UFC in 2014, until he inadvertently tore his left ACL while training in March of that year.
The 35-year-old has always flirted with the idea of a return to the UFC and is currently Welterweight champion Tyron Woodley’s first choice title defence should he decide to come back.
“If I watched this guy reign at the top for so long and he’s talking about coming back, I have to go out there and prove to myself that I’m the best in the world,” Woodley told Fox Sports earlier this month.
“Because, if I know he’s around and he’s thinking about fighting, and I don’t take that fight, I can’t honestly say I’m the best in the world.”
Meanwhile, Diaz is also open to the idea of a rematch with the French-Canadian claiming via MMA Weekly last December “that dude needs to come back and give me another fight as far as I’m concerned. As long as I can fight.”
Recent reports suggest that St. Pierre will be looking to make a return to the octagon at UFC 206 in Toronto, and that the Tristar fighter has already begun the USADA four month mandatory testing process in order to fight [via Yahoo Sports].
Jack O’Toole, Pundit Arena