Home MMA Dana White Responds To Jose Aldo’s Call For Contract Release

Dana White Responds To Jose Aldo’s Call For Contract Release

When it was announced on Monday night that Conor McGregor will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title on November 12th at Madison Square Garden in New York, everyone was expecting an explosive outburst from one Jose Aldo.

Instead, initially, what we got was calm.

A tweet sent from Aldo’s official Twitter account read; “It is what it is but make no mistake about it…I WILL see you again. Regardless of weight class or belt.”

The Brazilian had been campaigning for a rematch with McGregor from the moment that he scraped himself off the canvas after being knocked out by the Irishman in a featherweight title fight last December. Having reigned for so long as champion, many felt that Aldo deserved that shot at redemption.

A devastated Aldo after losing to McGregor in 13 seconds at UFC 194
A devastated Aldo after losing to McGregor in 13 seconds at UFC 194.

However, McGregor went on a merry jaunt up through the weight classes, with his belt in tow. Aldo meanwhile was forced to fight for his right to once again party with ‘The Notorious’ one. Jose was told that if he beat Frankie Edgar at UFC 200, not only would he become interim champ, but he would receive a shot at the real title once McGregor had finished his business with Nate Diaz.

But instead, after McGregor beat Diaz by decision last month, the SBG product was granted a shot at Alvarez’s 155-pound title at UFC 205 and allowed to retain possession of his golden hostage – the featherweight belt.

Alvarez and McGregor square off at the UFC 205 presser in NYC
Alvarez and McGregor square off at the UFC 205 presser in NYC.

Surely, that warranted a more impassioned response from Aldo. It is what it is? That couldn’t have been right.

And it wasn’t.

Apparently that tweet was sent out by someone who helps run Aldo’s account, someone who has since been let go. The 30-year-old’s real response was far closer to what everybody was expecting – it was raw and emotional.

In an interview with Brazilian MMA media outlet Combate, ‘Scarface’ said that he couldn’t trust UFC president Dana White and called for a release from his contract.

However, White has since told Combate that he has no intention of letting the 145-pound great go.

“We won’t cancel his contract,” he said. “We know he got very emotional. We respect Jose Aldo very much. We care for the people around him.”

Another fighter who had been jilted by the announcement of McGregor vs Alvarez was the lightweight division’s top contender Khabib Nurmagomedov. He too reacted badly to the news, but was somewhat appeased by his addition to the massive UFC 205 card, on which he is now scheduled to fight Michael Johnson.

White suggested that perhaps Aldo could be appeased in similar fashion.

“Khabib Nurmagomedov wanted a fight on the card and we got it for him. I’m sure we can find something nice for Aldo, as well(Translation via BloodyElbow).”

About The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.