After Conor McGregor’s emphatic victory at UFC 205, the world anxiously awaited his much hyped ‘left field’ announcement.
As it transpired, the Irishman simply confirmed what many had already expected with the 28-year-old due to become a father in May of next year.
However, there was something of a surprise in what the two weight world champion demanded from the UFC with McGregor stating that he now wants equity in the company if he is continue fighting.
“They have got to come talk to me now,” McGregor said. “No one has talked to me since the sale happened. As a businessman, no one has approached (me yet), but I’ve earned something.”
“Who owns the company now? There’s people who have shares in the company, celebrities — Conan O’Brien owns the UFC nowadays. So where’s my share? Where’s my equity?”
“If I’m the one that’s bringing this, they’ve got to come talk to me now. That’s all I know. I’ve got both belts, a chunk of money, and a little family on the way,” he said. “If you want me to stick around, if you want me to keep doing what I’m doing, let’s talk. But I want ownership now. I want equal share. I want what I deserve.”
“I’m coming for mine now if you want me back,” he said. “Whoever runs this whole shit has got to come to me and give me a real slice, because that’s what I’ve earned. Biggest gate and biggest everything.”
In winning his second UFC title, McGregor achieved what he had declared was his eventual goal on countless occasions. However, with ‘Mystic Mac’ known for his incredible predictions, perhaps his most eerie forecast to date has come to light after his UFC 205 victory.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) November 15, 2016
Two belts and shares in the company.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) June 5, 2014
McGregor tweeted out the above on the 5th of June 2014. To put that into context, at that point, the Irishman had only fought two fights in the UFC and hadn’t even returned from the ACL injury sustained in his bout with Max Holloway. Just incredible.