Close sidebar

Amir Khan Reaffirms His Interest In Fighting Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor NEW YORK, NY - MAY 29: Amir Khan looks on before his welterweight fight against Chris Algieri at Barclays Center of Brooklyn on May 29, 2015 in New York City. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

Former WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan wants to see UFC Featherweight champion Conor McGregor come to boxing as the 29-year-old claims he would be open to a potential super-fight with the MMA star.

Khan had previously stated his desire to fight McGregor in MMA, speaking to Sky Sports in July.

“I’ll go and fight Conor McGregor just to prove I’m a real man. I’m not one to back away, I’ve never backed away from any fight and I never will.”

However, today the Bolton native has seemingly pumped the brakes on a switch to MMA instead calling for McGregor to come to boxing.

“I don’t really know about moving to MMA,” Khan told World Boxing News. “I mean, if the fight comes up I would consider it as Conor is an unbelievable fighter. I’d love to test him in the boxing ring first as MMA will take a long time to get used to.

“Just the thought of getting the boxing world and MMA world together makes we want to do it even more as it will be massive!”

McGregor has previously stated his respect for Khan tweeting in May following the Olympian’s knockout loss to Canelo Alvarez “Respect to Khan. Most established fighters these days look down the divisions for a fight. Very few are looking up.”

McGregor has been linked with a potential super fight with former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather for months now, but financial terms and McGregor’s UFC contract have seemed to be major stumbling blocks in that fight going ahead.

But while McGregor remains busy with the UFC, Khan is still holding out hope for a potential big money fight with Mayweather.

The 39-year-old returned to training last month and Khan believes that a fight between the two would still be a massive event.

“I hear rumours Floyd is back in training,” Khan told World Boxing News.

“I still believe a fight between me and him would be very exciting and a massive event, and even though I lost against Canelo, there were a lot of positives to take away from that fight.

“The way I fought the first four or five rounds has given me the confidence to beat anyone out there.”

Asked about Pacquiao and the Filipino’s upcoming clash with Jessie Vargas, Khan added “I think it’s a great fight and a huge opportunity for Vargas.

“Manny and his team know where I am though as we get so close last time before they disappeared. I would be gutted if I don’t fight Pacquiao before he retires.”

Khan is currently recovering from a hand injury and reportedly won’t fight again until next year, meaning that May’s sixth-round knockout defeat to Canelo will be his only fight this year.

Read More About: , , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.