UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem was involved in quite a scary situation on Monday, as he was awoken from a nap by what he described as a “huge explosion” and subsequently forced to evacuate the Albuquerque hotel in which he was staying because of an ensuing fire.
Overeem, who is just days away from a crunch clash with former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum, posted pictures of various emergency response vehicles and a group photo of his team to Twitter on Monday evening, assuring fans that everyone had escaped unharmed.
“Just survived a huge explosion next to my hotel room.. big boom & flames,” wrote the dangerous Dutch striker, adding appropriate emojis. “All ok and healthy tho(sic)! 5 days out.”
— Alistair Overeem (@Alistairovereem) July 4, 2017
“I heard a big boom,” Overeem later told the Albuquerque Journal. “I thought it was nothing going on, but one of my teammates came and got me ‘we need to get out of here now.'”
According to the Journal, Overeem claimed that the explosion had come from a storage building next door, before adding that he saw flames and smoke coming from the building upon exiting his room.
“There was a huge black cloud,” said the fighter. “It was a little hectic, but I think the situation is under control now.”
The Albuquerque Fire Department have yet to discover the cause of the fire, but they have confirmed that nobody was injured as a result of the incident.
Alistair Overeem(42-15-0, 1NC) who trains with Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn in Albuquerque, New Mexico, will be looking for his sixth win in seven fights when he faces Werdum at UFC 213 in Las Vegas on Saturday, and his second since being stopped in the first round by reigning UFC heavyweight kingpin Stipe Miocic at UFC 203 last September.
Overeem has faced Werdum on two previous occasions, once in PRIDE FC and once in Strikeforce. He was submitted on the first occasion, but scored a decision win over the Brazilian in their most recent meeting.
Werdum(21-6-1) will also be looking for his second consecutive win since his own knockout loss to Miocic in May of last year, a defeat that cost him the heavyweight title he won from Cain Velasquez in June of 2015.