Conor McGregor’s demands to make his UFC comeback are getting exceedingly silly…
Last week, Conor McGregor sent the MMA world into fits of excitement as he emphatically announced that he will be making a UFC comeback in the near future.
Posting on his official Instagram account, the SBG star stated that he, in fact, wanted to make his return at UFC 222 this weekend – replacing the injured Max Holloway in the main event.
However, with Edgar currently fighting in the featherweight division (a weight Conor McGregor has not made since 2015) fans were left confused as to what weight the Irishman was willing to face ‘The Answer’ at.
I am fighting again. Period. I am the best at this. I put my name forward to step in at UFC 222 to face Frankie Edgar when Max Holloway pulled out, but I was told there wasn’t enough time to generate the money that the UFC would need. I was excited about bouncing in last minute and taking out the final featherweight, without all the rest of the stuff that comes with this game. Please respect the insane amount of work outside the fight game that I have put in. On top of the fighting. I am here. It is on them to come and get me. Because I am here. Yours sincerely, The Champ Champ™
Some had suggested that McGregor was willing to defend his lightweight title against Edgar who was formally a 155 lbs UFC champion himself.
However, it has since emerged that the 29-year-old wanted to take on Edgar for a 165 lbs title – a division and belt that does not even exist in the UFC.
Edgar said he spoke to his manager Ali Abdel-Aziz to investigate McGregor’s claims. Abdel-Aziz told Edgar that while McGregor did ask for the short-notice fight at UFC 222, “The Notorious” asked for it to be for a 165-pound UFC title, which does not exist. – MMA Fighting
Speaking about a potential Edgar/McGregor matchup, Artem Lobov explained how the SBG camp was certain that the fight was going to happen and that they were even ready to head to Las Vegas for the event.
Check out McGregor’s teammate discussing the scrapped bout below…
“It was real, 100 percent. Conor was ready to go, that was it.” –@RusHammerMMA on alleged 165-pound title fight between Conor McGregor and Frankie Edgar. Watch #TheMMAHour live: https://t.co/11sYrEm5Ug pic.twitter.com/myAgKBk1wD
— MMAFighting.com (@MMAFighting) February 26, 2018