Speaking to one of TMZ’s sidewalk sleuths on Thursday night, UFC president Dana White responded harshly to a recent report which claimed that he is no longer directly involved in negotiations for the proposed Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight.
According to the report, which was penned by Lance Pugmire and appeared on the Los Angeles Times website, executives from WME-IMG, the Hollywood talent agency that bought the UFC for a staggering sum last year, have taken over from White and are involved in ongoing talks with Mayweather’s manager Al Haymon.
White, however, rubbished Pugmire’s write-up and was adamant that he remained very much in charge of making this deal.
“We live in a world right now where you can’t believe anything that you read,” White told TMZ. “Who else would be running the Mayweather/McGregor deal than me?”
“What does WME know about making big fights?” asked White a moment later. “They don’t know a lot,” whispered the 47-year-old in response to his own question.
“I’ve had a couple of bad days back-to-back with bad ‘legitimate’ news stories,” continued White, accompanying the word ‘legitimate’ with half-hearted air quotes. “The Las Vegas Review-Journal,” he said, referring to a report which suggested he has bought a slew of Vegas mansions recently and acquired permits for their demolitions, “and now the LA Times,” White added.
“Trust me, I’m running the Mayweather/McGregor deal,” the president assured the reporter. “I’m the only one in on it.”
Asked if he was close to getting the deal done, White responded, “When I do, you will know”.