UFC President Dana White confirmed on Saturday night the reported news that Nick Diaz is set to return to the octagon to fight Jorge Masvidal at UFC 235.
Diaz hasn’t fought in the UFC since he faced former middleweight champion Anderson Silva in January 2015, and last month it had been reported by Brett Okamoto that the Stockton fighter was close to a return to the octagon.
It now appears that his return will be happening in March at UFC 235 against welterweight contender Jorge Masdival, with Dana White seemingly confirming the bout following UFC 231 at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto last night.
“As far as I know sitting right here right now, that fight’s on,” White said when asked about Diaz vs. Masvidal. “As far as I know, that fight is on. Unless something happened since Tuesday, which is very possible, it’s on.
Diaz has not won in the UFC since 2011, with his scheduled opponent Masvidal also coming into the bout on a losing streak having been defeated by both Demian Maia and Stephen Thompson in his last two bouts.
Masvidal had spoke openly last month about his reasoning behind wanting to face Diaz with the fight now looking like it is set to go ahead in March.
“The UFC offered us Nick Diaz and obviously we said yes,” Masvidal told ESPN.
“I would have loved to fight Nate, too — just because those guys are studs, man. All will.
“They don’t have the most skills in the division, but they have maybe the most will. You can beat the s— out of them — pain, fatigue — it doesn’t matter. And I’ve got a lot of those same qualities. My fan base knows I’m going in there to die trying.”
With the Diaz brothers it’s easy to be sceptical of whether the fight will go ahead or not, but if it does, it sure will be great to have one of the most entertaining fighters in the promotion back in the UFC.