UFC welterweight Nate Diaz has denied reports that he is set to retire from the sport of MMA following last weekend’s defeat to Jorge Masvidal at UFC 244 in New York City.
Diaz was on the losing end of the BMF title match between himself and ‘Gamebred’ after the doctor called a stop to the fight at the end of the third round due to a large cut above his eye.
Masvidal had been dominating much of the opening exchanges and although the Madison Square Garden crowd were keen to see the championship rounds, UFC President Dana White outlined that he felt the doctor’s decision was the correct one to protect the safety of the fighter.
Earlier this week Diaz posted a message to his Instagram which seemed to suggest that he was finished with the UFC
“F–k a rematch this s–t was over before it started I’m goin out on tour Peace out fight game.”
The Stockton native addressed the rumours of his retirement when speaking to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani and outlined that they couldn’t be further from the truth.
“Who said I was retired? I’ll fight tonight,” Diaz said.
I asked Nate Diaz this evening if he was actually retired given his social media post earlier this week.
He replied, “Who said I was retired?”
I said, “I think people thought it meant you were done with MMA."
He replied, "I’ll fight tonight."
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 10, 2019
Even if he is not done with the fight game and does return to the octagon it’s unlikely that a rematch with Masvidal is in his future with White outlining that running it back doesn’t interest him right now.
“That doesn’t interest me right away. I think that I got asked a couple questions tonight, Diaz comes on in the later rounds, and if this fight had gone on later and they didn’t stop, what would have happened or whatever, but it didn’t. It got stopped with cuts.”
There is however always the possibility of Diaz renewing his rivalry with Conor McGregor with the pair tied at 1-1 and a trilogy still likely to be of huge interest to all fans of the sport.