Home MMA Conor McGregor Makes Several Intriguing Revelations In New ESPN Interview

Conor McGregor Makes Several Intriguing Revelations In New ESPN Interview

Although it has not been confirmed as of yet, it now seems absolutely certain that Conor McGregor will be taking on Nate Diaz in the main event at UFC 202. 

After the initial fallout following McGregor’s withdrawal from UFC 200, the Irish champion went quiet for some time as he mulled over his next move.

However, since meeting with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta to resume negotiations with regard to scheduling his next fight, McGregor has been far more receptive to interviews and members of the media.

Last week, the ‘Notorious’ sat down for a lengthy discussion on Sunday Conversation and today, he has once again given an intriguing interview on his current situation.

Discussing a range of topics from where it all went wrong with Nate Diaz to how he currently feels about the featherweight division, the Irishman’s fascinating comments can be read in full below.

“What kind of fighter would I be, if I said, ‘Hey, I didn’t get you at 170, let me try to get you at 155,'” McGregor said speaking about his determination to fight Nate Diaz at welterweight for a second time. “I’ll make my adjustments. I ate up to the weight. This time, I won’t do that.”

“The first eight minutes of the fight was easy. Let’s be honest, I slapped the head off him. Once the gas tank went, that was it. I drowned. He landed that one punch that rang the bell and went, ‘[Gasp], I’m back.’ He was close to being done. One or two more shots and he would have been wrapped up.

“Swinging on gymnastic rings on fight week isn’t the best thing. Usually, I wrap myself in bubble wrap and only do fight specific things, but just because of that weight, no weight cut, I had put it in my head that, ‘I’m free.’ I had energy to burn. I was doing so much bounce footwork, the balls of my feet were burned to a crisp. Looking back, it was ridiculous. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

Writing on ESPN.com, Brett Okamoto stated that McGregor conducted the interview while eating ‘a small serving of fish and vegetables’, despite the fact that he currently has no fight booked.

“Look at me right now,” McGregor said. “Fish, red cabbage, asparagus — I’m nowhere near a fight and I’m on the clock with nutrition.”

“It was my idea,” McGregor said referring to the interim title fight between Frankie Edgar and Jose Aldo at UFC 200. “I wanted to have my revenge at 170 and they’re crying and complaining about the 145-pound belt, which I just won three months ago. That division was killed, it was dead. Jose went down in 13 seconds. What more can I do? I traveled the world with that man. I finally got him in the Octagon and he only lasts 13 seconds.

“I didn’t see a challenge there anymore. So, I wanted to create interest from a fan’s perspective and my perspective. I want to see them two go at it, with an interim belt on the line. Then I will see people walking around my division with a belt and that will intrigue me. It will make me want that belt again.”

About John Murphy