Speaking at the UFC 199 pre-fight press conference, Urijah Faber outlined his plans for the future, with Conor McGregor at the helm of his scheme.
At 37 years of age, this weekend arguably represents Urijah Faber’s last chance of claiming UFC gold. Leaving aside his bitter history with bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, the bout is already the most important of the ‘California Kid’s’ career.
Faber has his sights set on featherweight king Conor McGregor though, and plans on moving up in weight to challenge the Irishman. Cruz made similar noises earlier this week to further stoke the ‘superfight’ intrigue.
Although the two shared some heated back-and-forth on The Ultimate Fighter 22, Urijah claims that such a fight would be nothing personal, unlike the Cruz encounter this Saturday.
“I actually like Conor,” Faber told the media.
“He’s got a mouth on him, I love talking back and forth with him. He’s got some wit about him, he’s got a weakness for Northern California fighters [Nate Diaz] and he’s got a weakness in his submission game, we know that. But he’s a powerful dude.”
Among the stunted Nate Diaz rematch talk, massive rumours of a McGregor clash with boxer Floyd Mayweather in the realm of the sweet science has captured many a headline over the past month. Faber pleaded with ‘The Notorious’ not to entertain the extraordinary overtures of ‘Money’ Mayweather.
“Stay away from boxing, Conor. Not that he can’t do great over there, but this is a sport he loves, this is a sport he’s been training for.”
“I want the fights that matter, and I don’t know what that timetable is, but I’ve told the UFC brass I want big fights – fights that are going to put money in their pockets, money in my pockets, and staple me as one of the best of all-time.”
The statement can be seen below from 44:46 via UFC – Ultimate Fighting Championship.