Close sidebar

Cork City 1-2 Dundalk: The One-Minute Lowdown

Arguably the biggest game of the season took place tonight in Turner’s Cross, surrounded by a cacophonous atmosphere with a sell out crowd turning out on Leeside. 

Goals from John O’Flynn, and a brace from Richie Towell meant the Lilywhites came away with a major scalp, winning 2-1.


Dundalk certainly started the brighter, with a plethora of chances coming their way. Richie Towell, Daryl Horgan and David McMillan all had opportunities to score early on, Horgan hitting the bar in the 27th minute was the closest to hitting the net.

This evoked a reaction from the Leesiders and just five minutes later it was the home side who went in front, against the run of play, when a Billy Dennehy cross was whipped in from the right hand side. The strike evaded everyone, except Dundalk defender Andy Boyle, who Dennehy’s cross inadvertently deflected in off.

The play became slightly more even in the immediate aftermath of the goal, however unstoppable Richie Towell cropped up with the equaliser in first half injury time. A Mark McNulty punch from a corner fell straight to the Dundalk talisman, who blasted a shot from just inside the box to the roof the Shed End net.

The second half begun in a mirror image of the first, once again through a Towell goal. This time a penalty was what put the Lilywhites in front, following a mistimed slide tackle by Darren Dennehy on McMillan.

Dundalk continued to boss the game, and were helped by how the Leesiders coughed up possession too easily in the final third.

McMillan, who was a constant nuisance for City, almost made it 3-1 when he hit the post after 64 minutes.

Although the half became much more even in terms of possession as Cork City battled back, Dundalk were resolute in defence, despite being camped in their own half for the last half an hour of the game.

It was a performance of champions from Stephen Kenny’s men, and it means John Caulfield’s quest to take points from the Lilywhites goes on.



David McMillan

He will be the most exhausted player in Dundalk’s squad after this game. Created problems all night, was unlucky not to score and did brilliantly to earn the decisive penalty. Richie Towell just misses out, having had a relatively quiet second half.



Darren Dennehy 

He may be an easy pick, having conceded the penalty,  but he was found out of position on numerous occasions.


What Happens Next

Cork City travel to Bohemians next while Dundalk return home for a clash with Bray Wanderers.

This result means Dundalk go five points clear of the Leesiders at the top. Shamrock Rovers also have the opportunity to go ahead of City when they travel to Limerick tomorrow.



Cork City: McNulty, Kavanagh, Bennett, D. Dennehy, Gaynor, Dunleavy, Healy, B. Dennehy, Miller, O’Fynn, Sheppard

Subs: Murray, Holohan, Djilali, Smith, O’Sullivan, Lehane, Buckley


Dundalk: Rogers, Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Shields, Massey, Finn, Towell, Meenan, Horgan, McMillan

Subs: Sava, O’Donnell, Mountney, Byrne, Grimes, Barrett, Kelly

Rob Lyons, Pundit Arena

Read More About: , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.