Close sidebar

Nolan Earns Blues A Point

A late Shane Nolan strike stole the show, as Waterford United came from behind to draw 1-1 with Athlone Town.

The visitors went ahead just before the break when Garbhan Coughlan latched onto a miss placed Shane Nolan back past. Coughlan taking the ball in his stride to fire his side ahead.

Nolan turned hero with the last kick of the game, when a Jack Doherty corner eventually found its way to the midfielder. He smashed the ball into the back of the Athlone net, to give the Blues a deserving point.

Athlone came close to opening the scoring on 12 minutes when Daniel Purdy saw his shot sail wide from inside the Blues box. Having broken on the right wing, Purdy fired his shot past Matthew Connor’s upright.

The home side almost opened the scoring on 22 minutes when Jack Doherty fired over from a free kick. Having cleared the ball from danger, the ball fell to Shane Nolan who was bundled over by the Athlone centre half. Doherty unlucky with his effort as it sailed over Shane Cusack’s crossbar.

The home side came close again after Shane Dineen saw his effort go wide of Cusack’s upright. Boyle found himself in possession on the wing but was fouled well outside the Town’s box. Doherty floated a lovely ball in, where Dineen was unlucky not to touch home from close range.

The visitors were next to create a chance on 40 minutes when Garbhan Coughlan headed over from inside the six yard box. Michael Brown had done well to find space on the left and whipped in a dangerous cross. Coughlan out jumped his marker but saw his effort glide over the crossbar.

The visitors opened the scoring just before the break after Garbhan Coughlan picked up a loose ball. A botched Shane Nolan back pass didn’t find Connor, and Coughlan was more than happy to pick up the loose ball and fire home from outside the box.

The Blues almost pulled the goal back on 50 minutes from an Anthony McAlavey free kick. Having broken, Jack Doherty was brought down just outside the box. Macca stood over the kick which was punched away by Cusack.

The Blues had their next chance nine minutes later when Dineen saw another effort glance wide. Doherty fired in a lovely ball from a free kick on the right, Dineen did well to get on the end of the cross but was unlucky not to hit the target.

The Blues nearly pulled the game back on 88 minutes. A flurry in the Athlone six yard box saw Mikie Rowe stab an effort at Cusack who cleared the ball to the edge of his box. Doherty collected the loose ball and forced a save from the Town shot stopper.

Well into added time the Blues almost stole the show. A great ball from Dineen reached Macca whose header was easily stopped.

The action wasn’t over there. A late corner from Doherty was met by the head of Shaun Corcoran on the back post. The ball was headed to Shane Nolan who riffled the ball deep into the back of the net at the city end.

Waterford United: Connor (GK), Mernagh (Fitzgerald), Corcoran, Burns, Dineen, McAlavey, Boyle (Donoghue), Nolan, Kiely (Capt.), Doherty, Hurley (Rowe).

Subs: Hawe, Croke, O’Donnell, Birdsall.

Athlone Town: Cusack (GK), Quigley (Capt.), Hand, Dunne, Collins, Boyne (O’Connor), Purdy, Mulroney, Doyle, Coughlan, Brown.

Subs: Dunican, Burke, Brady, Doolin, Foley.

Referee: Micheal O’Connor (Kildare).

Attendance:  565.

Read More About: , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at