Close sidebar

Dominant Second Half Sees Tipperary Secure Huge Win In Thurles Over Waterford

Tipperary 1-20 Waterford 1-11

Joel Slattery reports from Semple Stadium, Thurles

A dominant second half display was enough for Tipperary as they got their first win of the 2018 Allianz League with an impressive victory over Waterford.

After falling away towards the end against Clare last time out, this performance will have delighted Michael Ryan as Jason Forde led the charge.

It was Forde’s goal from a 51st minute penalty which gave the home side breathing room – from here they cantered to the two points.

After both sides lost their opening games, this was an important clash as neither side want to spend their spring fighting relegation.

From the outset, Waterford played with men behind the ball as they isolated Patrick Curran at the edge of the square.

Tipp were forced to make two early subs in a stop-start opening dozen minutes where the home side led 0-03 to 0-01 thanks to super points from Michael Breen and Jason Forde. Waterford hit four early wides and fell three behind after Noel McGrath scored direct from a sideline cut.

However, Derek McGrath’s side responded well, hitting three points in as many minutes to level the game at the end of the first quarter.

Waterford took the lead for the first time after 21 minutes when some exceptional vision from Stephen Bennett found Mikey Kearney who put the Deise 0-5 to 0-4 ahead.

Kearney doubled his tally, and his sides lead, however a pair of Jason Forde frees levelled the game at the half hour mark.

Waterford upped it approaching the short whistle with Kearney’s third minor, and score from Ian Kenny and an Austin Gleeson wonder point gave the visitors some breathing room.

However, a combination of good attacking play and poor defending meant they only led by a single point, 0-10 to 0-9, at the interval.

The home side started the second half brightly and points from Forde and John McGrath edged them in front.

Noel McGrath and another Forde placed ball gave Tipp a three-point lead.

This was cancelled out by Mark O’Brien’s goal – a sharp finish which quietened the crowd of 6,363 in Semple Stadium.

Tipp responded brilliantly and within two minutes of Waterford’s goal, Michael Breen won a penalty at the other end.

Jason Forde stepped up and blasted the ball past Stephen O’Keeffe to put the Premier 1-13 to 1-10 ahead after 51 minutes.

From here, Tipp put the foot on the gas and pushed on, going six points in front approaching the final ten minutes.

Remarkably, O’Brien’s goal was the only score Waterford managed in the second half until Jamie Barron’s injury time consolation score.

SCORERS: Tipperary: Jason Forde 1-9 (0-7 f, 1-0 pen), Ronan Maher 0-4 (0-1 sl); Noel McGrath (0-1 sl), Sean Curran 0-2 each, Michael Breen, John McGrath, Brendan Maher 0-1 each.

Waterford: Patrick Curran (0-3 f); Mikey Kearney 0-3 each; Mark O’Brien 1-0; DJ Foran, Ian Kenny, Austin Gleeson, Brian O’Halloran, Jamie Barron 0-1 each.


Paul Maher

Alan Flynn, Tomas Hamill, Sean O’Brien;

Joe O’Dwyer, Padraic Maher, Paudie Feehan;

Brendan Maher, Ronan Maher;

Dan McCormack, Noel McGrath, Sean Curran;

Michael Breen, Jason Forde, John McGrath

Subs: Paul Shanahan for Dan McCormack (6 mins); James Barry for Joe O’Dywer (10 mins); Patrick Maher for Paul Shanahan (57 mins); Cian Darcy for Sean Curran (69 mins).


Stephen O’Keeffe;

Shane Fives, Barry Coughlin, Ian Kenny;

Mark O’Brien, Austin Gleeson, Kieran Bennett;

Stephen Roche, Mikey Kearney;

Kevin Moran, Colin Dunford, Brian O’Halloran;

Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran, Patrick Curran

Subs: Peter Hagan for Stephen Roche (18 mins); Shane McNulty for Austin Gleeson (51 mins); Jamie Barron for Mark O’Brien (54 mins); Pauric Mahony for Colin Dunford (57 mins); Michael Walsh for Stephen Bennett (59 mins)

REFEREE: Colm Lyons (Cork)

Read More About: , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.