Close sidebar

Dublin Run Out Of Steam As Tipperary Reach League Semi-Final

Brian Barry reports from Croke Park as Dublin ran out of steam against Tipperary after an impressive start.

Full-time: Tipperary 2-25 Dublin 0-20

On what has already been an historic weekend for Dublin hurling, Pat Gilroy’s county side were eager to make a huge statement against Tipperary today in Croke Park. As the Dubs’ record at HQ has been questionable in recent times, conventional wisdom suggested that the fact this game was moved from Parnell Park to Jones’ Road was a disadvantage for the home team.

Dublin got off to a lightning-quick start, as they burst into an eight-point lead, 0-10 to 0-02. However, the Premier settled as the game wore on, and began to find gaps in the Dublin backs. They scored nine of the next ten points to level the tie after 22 minutes.

On 26 minutes, John McGrath burst onto a breaking ball to execute a tidy finish past Alan Nolan between the Dublin sticks, as Tipp took the lead for the first time. Michael Ryan’s team continued on, as they stretched into a 1-15 to 0-14 half-time lead.

However, Tipp’s fightback did suffer a major setback just before the break, as Ronan Maher received a second yellow.

After the break, the Premier consolidated their lead, as Jason Forde continued to punish Dublin indiscipline. While the Dubs enjoyed a one-man advantage, they were unable to make it count.

When Michael Breen stole in to raise a green flag and extend the lead to ten points, the fat lady was in full voice. John ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer was introduced from the bench, as the Killenaule man got in on the scoring act.

In all, it was a disappointing afternoon which promised so much early on from a Dublin point of view, but Pat Gilroy will have taken positives from the league campaign, as full focus now turns to their championship opener against Kilkenny on May 13. Tipperary now face Limerick in the Allianz Hurling League semi-final.


Tipperary: Jason Forde 0-09 (0-07 frees), John McGrath 1-04, Michael Breen 1-00, John O’Dwyer 0-02, Seán Curran 0-02, Cian Darcy 0-02, Ronan Maher 0-02, Barry Heffernan 0-01, Alan Flynn 0-01, Padraic Maher 0-01, Seamus Kennedy 0-01.

Dublin: Donal Burke 0-07 (0-06 frees), Danny Sutcliffe 0-03, Paul Winters 0-03, Conal Keaney 0-02, Fiontán McGibb 0-02, Shane Barrett 0-01, Fionn Ó Riain Broin 0-01 (0-01 free).


1. Alan Nolan
2. Paddy Smyth
3. Bill O’Carroll
4. Eoghan O’Donnell
5. Shane Barrett
6. Chris Crummey
7. James Madden
8. Rian McBride
9. Fiontán McGibb
10. Donal Burke
11. Conal Keaney
12. Danny Sutcliffe
13. Ronan Hayes
14. Ryan O’Dwyer
15. Paul Winters


Fergal Whitely for Ronan Hayes (half-time)
Robbie Mahon for Ryan O’Dwyer (42nd minute)
Darren Kelly for Chris Crummey (49th minute)
Cillian Costello for Paul Winters (55th minute)
Fionn Ó Riain Broin for Rian McBride (62nd minute)


1. Brian Hogan
2. Alan Flynn
3. James Barry
4. Michael Cahill
5. Barry Heffernan
6. Pádraic Maher
7. Paudie Feehan
8. Seamus Kennedy
9. Ronan Maher
10. Seán Curran
11. Billy McCarthy
12. John McGrath
13. Michael Breen
14. Jason Forde
15. Cian Darcy


John O’Dwyer for Cian Darcy (45th minute)
Paul Maher for Seamus Kennedy (66th minute)
Paul Shanahan for Michael Breen (68th minute)
Tomás Hamill for Paudie Feehan (70th minute)
Willie Connors for Billy McCarthy (72nd minute)

Read More About: , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.