Close sidebar

Tyrone Send Out Statement With Powerful Win Over Kildare

Kildare Tyrone

Kildare 1-15 Tyrone 2-22

Tyrone have progressed to the next round of the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship thanks to a 2-22 to 1-15 victory over Kildare at St. Conleth’s Park in Newbridge.

There was no repeat heroics from last year’s infamous ‘Newbridge or Nowhere’ when Kildare sent Mayo out of the Championship as they struggled to compete with the pace and directness of Tyrone’s attacking play.

Mickey Harte’s charges dominated the opening exchanges as they raced into a five-point lead thanks to points from Peter Harte, Frank Burns and a goal from Michael Cassidy.

The goal stunned the home supporters in Newbridge as Cassidy found himself with plenty of space when Niall Sludden fed him a hand pass directly in front of goal before he raised the green flag with a cool right-footed strike.

The Lilywhites had plenty of the ball but they struggled to find a way through the Tyrone defence. However, they did register their first score with an effort from Neil Flynn which was immediately cancelled out by Rory Brennan.

Tyrone were superior in the air and winning the kick outs proved to be a thorn in Kildare’s side as Harte’s men continuously increased the tempo once the ball was won to find space and secure points.

The home side were holding onto Tyrone by their fingernails and things were looking bleak when they were down by six points with about five minutes of normal time remaining in the first half.

However, Kildare’s Kevin Feely gave his side’s chances of an upset a shot in the arm when he blasted home a close-range goal after some patient build-up play resulted in Keith Cribbin laying off the final pass.

With that goal, the scoreboard read 1-4 to 1-7 and both sides traded points in the closing minutes of the first half as Tyrone went in at the break with a three-point advantage, 1-6 to 1-9.

Tyrone scored four of the first five points of the second half to open up a 1-7 to 1-13 lead and it was obvious that the Ulster side were just going through the motions.

Things went from bad to worse for Kildare when they were reduced to 14 men when Mick O’Grady received his second yellow card of the game.

To Kildare’s credit, they battled bravely and stayed in the game thanks to some great points from Feely and Flynn to put just four points between the teams at one stage.

However, Tyrone put the game to bed when McCurry got his side’s second goal of the game to open up a 1-13 to 2-17 lead with just over five minutes of normal time remaining.

With that, the Kildare fight was over and Tyrone rode out the final few minutes in cruise control to eventually emerge 2-22 to 1-15 victors. They are definitely one of the teams to avoid when the draw for the next round is made on Monday.

Read More About: , , ,

Author: Sean McMahon

Sean is Deputy Editor and head rugby writer. You can contact him by email [email protected] or on Twitter