Home GAA Tyrone Stroll Past Weak Cavan Challenge To Secure Super 8s Berth

Tyrone Stroll Past Weak Cavan Challenge To Secure Super 8s Berth

Tyrone 1-20 Cavan 0-7 

Tyrone have secured their passage into the quarter-finals of the All Ireland Senior Football Championship thanks to a one-sided victory over Cavan in Clones.

Mickey Harte’s side never looked in trouble as they eased to victory in what was a disappointing performance from Cavan.

Cavan took the lead thanks to a free from Niall Murray. The opportunity came about because Cavan attacked at pace but that tactic didn’t feature for the remainder of the half as they struggled in possession.

Brian Kennedy equalised for Tyrone and from there, the Red Hands began to dominate.

Goalkeeper Niall Morgan put Tyrone into the lead with a free before Gearoid McKiernan equalised from a placed ball himself.

Niall Sludden scored from play to put Tyrone ahead and it would be a lead that they would never relinquish

Alarm bells were ringing for Cavan soon after when Brian Kennedy’s goal attempt came back off the post. The strike came off a Cavan player and Morgan slotted the resulting 45 to put two points between the teams.

Tyrone Cavan

The match was an ill-tempered affair at times and Cavan’s Dara McVeety can count himself lucky that his late challenge went unnoticed by the referee.

Tyrone began to go up through the gears as Colm Kavanagh timed a run to perfection to receive the ball at pace from Brian Kennedy and with the space opening up in front of him, the midfielder notched another point for Tyrone to put three points between the sides.

McShane notched another free and then Darren McCurry struck three consecutive points from play to leave the score at 0-9 to 0-2.

It took until the 28th minute for Cavan to score their first point from play and it came from Conor Madden to offer a small glimmer of hope to his side’s cause. However, that didn’t last long as McShane slotted over his second point from a free to restore the seven-point advantage.

Before the half was out, a point from Peter Harte and another free from McShane gave Tyrone a 0-12 to 0-3 lead at the interval.

Tyrone Cavan


Gerard Smith put over a lovely point to get Cavan off to the best start at the beginning of the second half but it was a false dawn as Tyrone kept up their dominance through points from Sludden, Harte and McShane.

At the time of Harte’s second point, Cavan had conceded 14 frees to Tyrone’s four, which summed up one of the many problems experienced by Mickey Graham’s side throughout the 70 minutes.

Tyrone Cavan

With the game long won, Tyrone piled more misery on Cavan when Ben McDonnell out leapt Cavan goalkeeper, Raymond Gilligan. McDonnell collected, turned and shot into an empty net to put even more distance between the teams.

The remainder of the match concluded at a walking pace as Tyrone tagged on further points to win out on a final scoreline of 1-20 to 0-7 and secure their spot in the Super 8s.

About Sean McMahon

Sean is Head of Pundit Arena Rugby. Contact him on Twitter here: