Close sidebar

Crucial goal ruled out in Dublin SFC because of bizarre gumshield issue

Dublin gumshield

We haven’t seen this too often before.

On Wednesday night, the issue surrounding a gumshield proved to be the main talking point in the clash between Skerries Harps and Thomas Davis in Group 1 of the Dublin SFC.

Skerries Harps won out on a scoreline of 3-17 to 1-10 to defeat last year’s beaten county finalists. Considering three points was the margin of the defeat, Thomas Davis will no doubt feel hard done by due to a disallowed goal during the first half.

Thomas Davis corner forward Sean Fennelly beat two men to blast home a cool finish into the top corner only for the referee to quickly award a free out to Skerries.

As Fennelly ran back beside the referee after scoring the goal, the man in the middle for this Dublin SFC clash noticed Fennelly wasn’t wearing a gumshield and subsequently, disallowed the goal.

Fennelly goes to the sideline to get his gumshield but the referee’s decision stood as Skerries set up for the free out.

The rules state that a player should be cautioned if he’s not wearing a gumshield and if the player persists, he can be sent off.

There doesn’t seem to be any rule that a score should be disallowed in a situation such as this.

Rule 4.3 of the GAA rule book outlines that, “in all football games and football practice sessions it shall be mandatory for, and the responsibility of, each individual player to use a mouthguard.”

With regards to Rule 6.3, it states, “to fail to comply with a referee’s instruction to use a mouthguard. Penalty – Caution the offender; order off if he persists.”

This wasn’t the only bizarre incident to happen in a county championship match over the last week.

St Breckan’s beat Cooraclare in the Clare SFC aided by a very strange moment which consisted of a disallowed goal, a free out ricocheting off a teammate and the player who had the goal disallowed raising the green flag as he put the ball into an empty net.

Read More About: ,

Author: Sean McMahon

Sean is Deputy Editor and head rugby writer. You can contact him by email or on Twitter