Home GAA Defiant Tipperary Show Their Mettle To Claim U20 Munster Title

Defiant Tipperary Show Their Mettle To Claim U20 Munster Title

Tipperary's Conor Bowe celebrates scoring an early goal

Tipperary 3-15 Cork 2-17 

Tipperary are the winners of the Bord Gais Energy Munster GAA Under-20 Hurling Championship after a dramatic last-minute victory over Cork at Semple Stadium.

In the end, Tipperary ran out one-point winners and they have Jake Morris to thank after the Nenagh Eire Og man blasted home a goal in the dying seconds to give his side a one-point lead.

Cork had one final chance to level the game but their long-range effort went narrowly wide as the Premier County were crowned Munster champions.


The first half ebbed and flowed as both sides experienced periods in the ascendancy.

Tipperary raced into an early 1-01 to 0-01 lead thanks to a goal from Conor Bowe. Cork’s Shane O’Regan, who proved dangerous throughout, scored a lovely point from play far out on the right to bring it back to a one-point game after an earlier free from Craig Hanifin.

Cork Tipperary U20
Tipperary’s Conor Bowe celebrates scoring an early goal

Billy Seymour notched another point for Tipperary but they really should have been further ahead at this point but for some wastefulness in front of goal.

Cork then took the initiative when Sean Twomey buried the ball into the back of the net to put his side into a one-point lead.

The Rebel County subsequently notched over three points in a row to stretch their lead to four points. Both sides traded points and with Cork’s winning margin at four points, it nearly got a whole lot better but O’Regan’s effort on goal was brilliantly saved by Tipperary goalkeeper Aaron Browne as he deflected the effort over the bar.

The five-point margin was soon down to two as the Premier County rallied to rack off three consecutive points until they went a point ahead thanks to an excellent goal from Kian O’Kelly.

Tipperary Cork GAA
Kian O’Kelly scores Tipperary’s second goal

Cork levelled the game soon after to leave the sides level at halftime.

At the beginning of the second half, Cork raced into a three-point lead which included points from Twomey and Hannifin

Tipperary hit back with a point of their own just before they were denied a glorious goal chance after Cork’s Sean O’Leary Hayes put his body on the line to block a certain three points.

That didn’t stop Tipperary, however, as they notched two points to level the game once again.

The Premier then went two points ahead before Cork clawed the match back to a level game but what looked to be a major turning point occurred with just two minutes remaining of normal time as Cork’s Evan Sheehan smashed the ball home after a high ball wasn’t dealt with.

Another point for Cork saw them with a two-point advantage and Tipperary looked dead and buried but for Jake Morris to pop up at the death to raise the green flag for the third time for his side to claim a memorable one-point victory.

About Sean McMahon

Sean is Head of Pundit Arena Rugby. Contact him on Twitter here: