Home GAA Mayo Hit Five Majors To Edge Out Dublin In Pearse Park Thriller

Mayo Hit Five Majors To Edge Out Dublin In Pearse Park Thriller

Mayo 5-12

Dublin 2-19

Mayo hit five goals but were pushed all the way by Dublin this afternoon in their Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor Football quarter-final clash in Pearse Park, Longford.

The pair seemed to shadowbox in the opening exchanges before wing-forward, Ciaran Mylett settled the nerves for Mayo and kicked the opening score after three minutes. However, it took Dublin less than a minute to hit back through Mylett’s opposite number, Dara Fagan.

From here on the westerners dominated the first half and nearly fired home the game’s first goal after five minutes only for a great block by Dublin full-back, Oran Farrell.

Dublin’s reprieve was short-lived, however, as Mayo converted the resulting 45 before a classy solo run from corner-forward, Paul Walsh, yielded the game’s first goal.

Dylan Thorton then scored one of the points of the day for Mayo kicking from distance to put them in the ascendency after a dream opening fifteen minutes.

Dublin then had a gilt-edged goal chance of their own when full-forward, Luke Swan, collected a quick handpass from Alex Rogers before bearing down on the Mayo goal, Swan looked destined to score but out of nowhere, Alfie Morrison arrived to put in a heavy shoulder tackle. It was enough to put Swan off balance which resulted in him firing the shot wide.

Suddenly it went from bad to worse for Dublin when Mylett punched to the net after a long-range shot from Ethan Henry ricocheted off the post.

A couple of Fionn Murray scores settled Dublin and they began to gain some momentum in the game but Mayo were able to keep the scoreboard ticking over and go in at half-time 2-8 to 0-8 in front.

Dublin came out of the blocks firing in the second half with Alex Rogers narrowing the gap to five within seconds of the restart.

However, the comeback was short-lived as Mayo seemed wrapped up proceedings early in the second half following Ethan Henry’s scintillating individual goal.

Henry gathered possession in midfield before driving right through the centre of the Dublin defence and firing a rocket to the roof of the net.

Dublin never gave up though and ably led by Fionn Murray they mounted a comeback and could have had a goal of their own if not for an excellent save by Luke Jennings.

Mayo, once again, looked to have wrapped up the game up when Ruairi Keane sauntered forward to bury home their fourth goal

Dublin looked done for but miraculously they fought their way back into the game for a third time to set up a truly electric finish. First, it was Luke Curran who fired to the net to open Dublin’s goalscoring account.

Barely a minute later and the ball was in the net once more when Alex Rogers fired to the top corner to finally put Dublin in front for the first time in the match.

The two teams traded scores with Fionn Murray firing a beauty between the posts and edge Dublin in front once again. However, Mayo weren’t finished and they capitalised beautifully from the restart with Dublin still pressed forward.

Substitute, Rory Morrin latched on to a ball over to top before burying into the bottom corner past Hugh O’Sullivan to send the Mayo support into dreamland.

Dublin tried to revive their chances once more but Mayo’s fifth and final goal proved to be the killer blow as they held on for a three-point win to book their spot in this year’s Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor Football semi-finals.


About Michael Corry

Sports Journalist based in Dublin. Hit me up if you have a unique story to tell. Email: michael@punditarena.com Twitter: @Corry_10 Instagram: @Corry_10