Home GAA It’s A Case Of Goals Win Games As Champions Sink Ballymun Kickhams

It’s A Case Of Goals Win Games As Champions Sink Ballymun Kickhams

Dublin Senior Football Championship Group 1, Parnell Park, Dublin 13/4/2019 Kilmacud Crokes vs Ballymun Kickhams Kilmacud Crokes' Andrew McGowan and Aaron Elliott of Ballymun Kickhams Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

Kilmacud Crokes 2-13

Ballymun Kickhams 0-14

There was a real heavyweight clash this evening in Parnell Park as champions, Kilmacud Crokes faced Ballymun Kickhams in the Dublin senior football championship. 

The physicality was clear from the off as both shipped big challenges in the opening couple of minutes before Dublin stars, Dean Rock and Paul Mannion exchanged points to leave the sides level at one apiece after five minutes.

The game’s first big moment came on six minutes when Philly McMahon fouled Shane Cunningham inside the penalty area. Mannion stepped up and slotted the spot kick home before Callum Pearson tagged on another score to put the champions four points in front.

Pat Burke added a 14-yard free before the former Clare footballer was put through on goal, however, Sean Currie produced a fine stop.

Dean Rock fired over three free-kicks for Ballymun sandwiched in between another Pat Burke placed kick to leave the score at 0-4 to 1-4 heading into the final 10 minutes of the half.

Rock then set-up Anton Swan to score Ballymun’s first point from play, however, it could well have been a goal. Kilmacud continued then tagged on another score as Offaly forward, Shane Horan and Mannion combined to set-up Andy McGowan to fire over the black spot.

It could well have been a second goal for Kilmacud when Cunningham broke through on goal forcing Currie to make another save. The rebound was then cleared off the line before breaking to Cunningham against who eventually fired over the bar.

Rock surprisingly missed back-to-back placed kicks for Ballymun as the first half entered injury time, Kilmacud, however, failed to punish the Northsiders, hitting consecutive wides themselves to leave the score at 1-6 to 0-5 at half-time.

Ballymun started the second-half with quickfire points from play by Jason Whelan and Rock, however, Pearson restored Kilmacud’s three-point lead with his second score of the day.

The reigning champions continued to keep their noses in front through scores from Burke, Mannion and McGowan and Cillian O’Shea, however, Ballymun weren’t going away as scores from Paddy Small, Frank Hubbard and Ted Furman kept them within a goal before Rock brought them back to within two points.

Ballymun began to find some momentum and they were rewarded as Liam O’Donovan reduced the margin to the bare minimum as the game entered the final quarter.

The champions regained control of the game and it all came from a Ballymun mistake. Paddy Small had time, space and an opportunity to level the game, however, he dropped it into the goalkeeper’s hands before Kilmacud countered and Mannion scored again followed by another McGowan point to restore that three-point lead.

However, Ballymun continued to fight their way back into the game, buoyed by a booming kick from Furman followed by a Dean Rock free to leave just one between the sides again with seven minutes remaining.

However, substitute Stephen Williams came on to great effect in the final minutes hitting 1-1 as the champions finished the game five points stronger than their rivals.

About Michael Corry

Sports Journalist based in Dublin. Hit me up if you have a unique story to tell. Email: michael@punditarena.com Twitter: @Corry_10 Instagram: @Corry_10