Close sidebar

Cork Close Out Waterford’s Campaign With 13-Point Win

Cork 2-30

Waterford 2-17

Waterford travelled to Páirc Uí Chaoimh looking for their first championship win since beating Cork in the 2017 All-Ireland semi-final but it wasn’t to be as the Rebels came out with a 13-point victory.

Patrick Horgan, who was named the PwC GAA/GPA Player of the Month for May, opened the scoring for Cork and to no surprise, such is the form he’s in, he followed that up with a smashing goal a few minutes later to give Cork the perfect start.

Waterford eventually opened their account through the impressive, Calum Lyons, who battled hard for the Déise at wing-back.

Stephen Bennett and Darragh Fitzgibbons traded scores as the two sides went hammer and tongs over the next ten minutes before another Bennett free followed by an inspirational score from Jamie Barron left them just one point behind.

However, Cork continued to keep their noses in front before Waterford missed a golden opportunity for goal on 25 minutes when Shane Bennett side-footed the ball wide under pressure from Sean O’Donoghue.

Cork could have had their second goal minutes later following a poor puck-out from Billy Nolan, however, Nolan redeemed himself with a smart save.

The Rebels seemed to be getting sloppy as Waterford scored back-to-back points to narrow the gap to two, however, on the stroke of half-time they got their second goal through Alan Cadogan.

It was Bill Cooper who had his initial shot saved by Nolan but the sliothar made its way back to Cooper who teed up Cadogan to fire home from 14 yards out.

Despite being six down at the half, Waterford battled hard but Cork clinical finishing up front set them apart.

Waterford were granted a lifeline in the second half when a long ball in was flicked home by Stephen Bennet, however, Horgan, Cadogan Mark Ellis all scored to restore Cork’s six-point lead.

Waterford’s chance seemed to be slipping away as Horgan pointed another pair of frees, however, Peter Hogan and Bennett hit a couple of beautiful scores from play before Shane Bennett was awarded a goal after some confusion to bring Waterford to within four.

However, again when it seemed as though they may be able to muscle their way back in Horgan and Cadogan pointed to yet again restore that six-point cushion.

With the game entering the final ten minutes it could have been a third goal for Cork when Horgan collected a pass from Luke Mead before turning his man and firing towards goal but he had to settle for just a point.

Shane Kingston and Fitzgibbon pointed to stretch Cork’s lead to ten points as the final few minutes ticked down on Waterford’s championship summer.

In the end, Cork finished with 13 points to spare as Waterford exit the championship at the Munster round-robin stage for the second year running.


Read More About: , , , ,

Author: Michael Corry

Sports Journalist born in Armagh, based in Dublin. Interested in feature writing and listening to unique, engaging stories. Up for the craic too. Email: Twitter: @MickCorryPA Instagram: @Corry_10