Close sidebar

Super 8s Round-Up: Dubs Sail Into Semis As Spirited Cork Fall To Tyrone

Cork Tyrone

Tyrone and Dublin both claimed their second victories of the Super 8s competition with respective wins over Cork and Roscommon in Croke Park on Saturday.

Tyrone were forced to come from behind against a spirited Cork side while it was all too straightforward for Jim Gavin’s side with a 2-26 to 0-14 win over Roscommon in the day’s second game.

The Super 8s action takes a break for a week before returning for the final round on the weekend of August 3.

Read our full round-up of the two games below.


Cork 2-12 Tyrone 2-15

Two second-half goals saw Tyrone overturn a five-point deficit to beat Cork in the second round of the Super 8s in Croke Park on Saturday afternoon.

Cork took the lead from the throw-in with a goal from Luke Connolly before James Loughrey brilliantly finished an expert team move by Cork with just over 10 minutes left in the half.

However, by the 48th-minute mark, Tyrone had clawed back two goals. The first came from Cathal McShane who palmed the ball to the back of the net before Niall Sludden was fouled in the square four minutes later with Peter Harte dispatching the penalty past Mark White.

Mattie Donnelly showed immense leadership throughout the second half, winning a number of vital frees while he also scored three points. Together with McShane and Harte, the trio managed to pull Mickey Harte’s side ahead when Cork drew level twice throughout the second period.

The result leaves Cork out of the running for a place in the semi-finals though they must travel to Roscommon for the final round game in two week’s time while Tyrone prepare for a clash with Dublin in a repeat of last year’s All Ireland final.


Dublin 2-26 Roscommon 0-14

Dublin strolled to their second victory of the Super 8s with an 18-point win over Roscommon in Croke Park this evening.

The result means that Jim Gavin’s side are safely through to the All Ireland semi-finals with a game against Tyrone in Omagh still to come in a fortnight’s time.

Dublin made three changes before the game introducing Dean Rock, Jonny Cooper and James McCarthy and Rock was in devastating form on his return to the starting lineup, registering 1-7 in the first-half alone. His tally helped the reigning champions to an 11-point lead at half time while the Rossies were reduced to 14-men before the break when Conor Daly was sent off for receiving a black card while on a yellow.

There was no let up from the Dubs in the second period with Michael Darragh MacAuley hitting the net shortly after the break. Conor Cox and Niall Daly did their part to keep Roscommon on the scoreboard but as Gavin emptied his bench, there was absolutely no doubt about the result.

Rock, Brian Fenton and Paddy Small finished out the game strongly for Dublin who are hitting all the right notes as they take one step closer to achieving the elusive five-in-a-row.


Read More About: , , , , , ,

Author: Marisa Kennedy

Marisa is a Digital Journalist with Pundit Arena. You can contact her at [email protected] or on Twitter