Close sidebar

Club Roundup: Competition Heats Up As High-Profile Teams Eliminated

The lineup for the Tipperary senior hurling club championship semi-finals has been completed.

A sizeable crowd enjoyed a titanic display of hurling on Saturday in Nenagh as Toomevara and Thurles booked their places in the last four by the slimmest of margins. In the first came, 11 points from Seamus Callanan was not enough to see 14-man Drom & Inch through as they fell to a 3-15 to 1-20 loss to Toomevara.

In the second game, it a late goal from Ronan Maher to see Thurles through to the semi-finals. It was a heartbreaking finish for Kilruane McDonaghs who had led for the majority of the game, thanks to some spectacular efforts from Cian Darcy and Brian O’Meara.

Completing the semi-final line-up are Clonoulty-Rossmore and Nenagh Eire Óg after they overcame Kildangan and Loughmore-Castleiney respectively in Dolla yesterday.


There were more shocks in Kerry as a Marc O’Connor-inspired Dingle dumped Austin Stacks out of the senior football championship. The introduction of O’Connor came as a surprise as he is home less than a week from playing with AFL side Geelong Cats. Two goals from Paul Geaney, plus an effort from Matthew Flaherty helped Dingle to a 3-9 to 0-9 win.

They will now face East Kerry in the final four. Two goals from Dara Roche, plus further goals from David Clifford and Noel Duggan helped them to a 4-12 to 2-10 win over 14-man South Kerry.

It was business as usual for Dr Crokes as they eased past neighbours, Killarney Legion on a scoreline of  1-20 to 0-9, James O’Donoghue with six of Legion’s points.

Awaiting them in the semi-final is Kerins O’Rahilly’s who had a far-from-easy win over St Brendan’s District Board. Goals from Tom Hoare, Tommy Walsh and David Moran proved the difference in the 3-11 to 1-15 win.


In the Dublin senior football club championship, all eyes were on Diarmuid Connolly as he made his long-awaited return for St Vincents as they overcame Castleknock by 1-21 to 1-9 to progress to the semi-finals. Connolly was introduced in the second half but the reigning champions had already built up a nine-point lead by that stage, with the aid of a goal from Tómas Quinn.

Diarmuid Connolly in action in the Dublin senior football club championship

In the earlier game at Parnell Park, Kilmacud Crokes enjoyed an eight-point win over St Sylvester’s. Though Kilmacud dominated for the majority of the game, the Malahide club managed to trim the deficit to just two points by the 54th minute. However, two late goals from Paul Mannion and Callum Pearson secured the win for Kilmacud.

On Saturday, St Judes earned a shock 1-11 to 2-9 win over Ballymun Kickhams while Ballyboden St Endas eased their way past Na Fianna on a scoreline of 3-13 to 0-15.


Meanwhile, in Kilkenny, there was a superb battle in the senior hurling championship as the reign of Dicksboro was brought to an end by Ballyhale Shamrocks. TJ Reid was the star of the show as he bagged 1-15 of the 1-24 to 1-19 scoreline.

O’Loughlin Gaels also bowed out of the championship as they fell to a 2-12 to 0-16 loss to Clara, a late goal from substitute, John Murphy proving the difference.

Bennettsbridge also secured their place in the final four as they beat Mullinavat by 1-17 to 2-8.



Read More About: , , , , ,

Author: Marisa Kennedy

Marisa is a Digital Journalist with Pundit Arena. You can contact her at or on Twitter