Close sidebar

Club Roundup: Shock Defeat For Dr Crokes While Nemo Progress

One of the biggest shocks in the club championship this weekend came in Kerry where Kerins O’Rahilly’s came from nine points down to record a 3-18 to 2-17 victory over champions, Dr Crokes. 

Dr Crokes looked to have the win secured with ten minutes to go but two goals from Tommy Walsh helped them to a 13-point swing in the final quarter.

The Tralee side booked their place in the Kerry SFC quarter-finals as a result, while Dr Crokes will be hoping for a quick recovery against An Gaeltacht in the third round with a win guaranteeing them a spot in the last eight.

Dr Crokes

In the earlier game in Fitzgerald Stadium, David Clifford scored two goals as East Kerry breezed past Dingle by 6-15 to 2-10, while Paul Geaney kicked 2-2 from play for Dingle.

Also in the Kerry SFC, James O’Donoghue kicked 1-16 to help Killarney Legions to a 2-13 to 2-9 win over Mid Kerry. Legion are now safely through to the quarter-finals while Mid Kerry must face St Brendans for a place in the knockout stages.


It was ‘business as usual’ for Nemo Rangers in Cork as they eased to a place in the final eight with a 4-16 to 0-13 point win over O’Donovan Rossa in Coachford. Luke Connolly scored 1-5 while Paul Kerrigan, Mark Cronin and Conor O’Donovan were the other goalscorers.

Carbery Rangers had a dominant performance over Ballincollig with a brilliant opening half helping them to a 0-15 to 1-8 win. They also have booked their place in the quarter-finals.

Castlehaven and Cork IT will have to meet again to decide who plays Nemo Rangers in the quarter-finals after they played out a thrilling 21-point draw.


A replay will also be needed in Tipperary as two periods of extra-time couldn’t separate Loughmore-Castleiney and Thurles Sarsfields in the Mid-Tipperary final. Two John McGrath goals left Loughmore eight points ahead with five minutes remaining but a Thurles revival, finished by an equalising point by Lar Corbett sent the game to extra-time.

The sides were still level at 2-27 apiece after extra-time, forcing an additional period of two five minute spells. However, the sides still couldn’t be separated and a replay will now be fixed.


Meanwhile in Limerick, All Ireland finalists, Na Piarsaigh cruised to a 10-point win over Declan Hannon’s, Adare to remain unbeaten in the senior hurling championship. They join Patrickswell and Kilmallock in the knock-out stages with three further places still up for grabs.

Graeme Mulcahy scored nine points as Kilmallock overcame 2016 champions, Patrickswell by ten points in the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday.


There was another shock in Waterford as champions, Stradbally were knocked out of the senior football championship following a 2-13 to 0-12 loss to Kilrossanty.


Read More About: , , , , , , , , , ,

Author: Marisa Kennedy

Marisa is a Digital Journalist with Pundit Arena. You can contact her at or on Twitter