The Clare senior hurling panel have expressed their frustration at being left out of the process of choosing a managerial team for 2020 in a lengthy statement.
On Sunday, it was announced that manager Donal Moloney would not be seeking another term after his joint-manager Gerry O’Connor stepped away earlier this year.
In a statement, Moloney said that, despite support from players, he could not stay “due to the ongoing uncertainty over the process of selecting new management.”
The players have since doubled down in their support of the former manager by criticising the process which forced him to leave.
In a statement to the Clare Champion, the players said they were disappointed that they had not been consulted about the appointment of a new manager and criticised the length of time the process is taking.
They also denied a report in the Clare County Express that said that players had sought a change in management.
It is believed a specially convened meeting will be held this evening during which a new manager will be proposed. Louis Mulqueen and Brian Lohan are reportedly the frontrunners for the role.
The statement in full from the players reads:
“Following the announcement on Sunday (6 October 2019) by Donal Moloney and his management team of their decision not to seek appointment for the 2020 season, representatives of the Clare Senior Hurling panel requested a meeting with the County Board Chairman Joe Cooney who is leading the process of appointing a management team. Mr. Cooney met with representatives of the hurling squad this evening (Tuesday, 08 October 2019).
“A range of concerns were raised by players at this meeting:
“Players outlined to the County Board Chairman their frustration at not having been consulted during the 4-month process of securing a management team for 2020. Players’ only source of information on the process was second hand updates disseminated through the mainstream media and social media.
“The players are disappointed by the length of time it has taken to conclude the ongoing process and the lack of clarity provided to Donal Moloney and his management team on the process, despite having been interviewed for the position 4 weeks ago.
“A report in the October edition of the Clare County Express falsely reported players were in favour of a change of management. No member of the Clare Senior panel approached any potential candidate for the position other than Donal Moloney (up to his announcement on Sunday that he was withdrawing his name from the process).
“We informed the County Board Chairman of the necessity for the County Board to fully support the hurling team in terms of investment in facilities such as Caherlohan, as well as provide our players with the necessary supports to maximise our ability to compete at the highest level.
“Players raised concerns about the future operation of Club Clare Hurling Supporters, which has raised over €350,000 since it was established by Gerry O’Connor and Donal Moloney in 2016. We have asked the County Board to support the continuation of the supporters club or failing that, bridge any shortfall in funding and investment that may arise from the discontinuation of the supporters club.
“The players would like to acknowledge Donal Moloney and Gerry O’Connor for their contribution over the past three years in the senior setup. The level of professionalism brought into the setup raised standards on and off the pitch.”