Close sidebar

Limerick Beat Galway In Thurles Thriller To Reach All-Ireland Final

Share and Enjoy !

Limerick will play Kilkenny in the All-Ireland u-21 final after beating Galway 2-23 to 2-19 after a tense battle in Thurles.

Pat Donnelly’s men finished the game the better side and will now meet Eddie Brennan’s Cats on September 9.

Great performances from Peter Casey, Barry Nash, Robbie Hanley and Colin Ryan were key from the Shannonsiders.

Galway, despite goals from Jack Coyne and Conor Whelan are out of the championship.

Unlike previous games, Limerick started slowly, and Galway had the first five shots on goal, but only converted two as they let the heavy favourites off the hook.

Despite dominating the first eight minutes, Galway found themselves level after a pair of smart scores from Peter Casey.

Casey then put the Shannonsiders in front for the first time after finishing a scrappy goal, in a move where Tom Morrissey was influential.

However, Galway fought back through scores from Dan Nevin and Tom Monaghan as the Connacht side showed no signs of cob-webs playing in their first championship match of 2017.

The Tribesmen had the momentum late in the first half as they hit four points out of five to level the game heading injury time. Monaghan, Jack Coyne and a huge Dan Nevin free had the sides square at 1-08 to 0-11.

Barry Nash edged Limerick ahead before Conor Whelan pointed a free with the last puck of the half to make in honours even at the interval.

The sides shared the first four points of the second half before Limerick scored their second goal.

After the initial effort was saved, Barry Murphy was on hand to supply the finish.

Barry Nash added a point before Murphy added a white flag himself to put the Munster champs in control.

However, just as the game was slipping away from Galway, they got a goal of their own. After a superb save by Eoghan McNamara, Jack Coyne got to the rebound first to reduce the gap to 2-13 to 1-14.

Conor Whelan then hit Galway’s second goal, blasting past McNamara to give his side a 2-17 to 2-15 lead in the final quarter.

Whelan’s effort flew into the top corner – but Limerick weren’t done just yet.

The Munster champions then hit three in a row – through Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Kyle Hayes and Conor Boylan – to take a one point lead with 10 to play.

The teams traded scores and it was level after 57 minutes.

However, points from Aaron Gillane, Thomas Grimes and a super effort from Robbie Hanley had Limerick three up in injury time before seeing out the win and a spot in the final.

Share and Enjoy !

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at