Home GAA Hurling Late Tipperary Goal Seals Dramatic U21 Final Win Over Cork

Late Tipperary Goal Seals Dramatic U21 Final Win Over Cork

Cork 1-16 Tipperary 3-13

In front of a crowd of 16,173, Tipperary were crowned U21 hurling champions for the first time since 2010. A burst of scores from Cork looked to have sealed the win for the Rebels before the substitutes for the Premier County combined to edge the win in dramatic style.

Determined not to repeat the mistakes of the Munster final, it was the Premier county who enjoyed the brighter start to this final, aided by the breeze. Jake Morris pointed within 25 seconds before Jerome Cahill joined him on the scoresheet. However with a two man full-forward line, Tipp found that their long balls delivered into the square were being sent right out again by goalkeeper, Ger Collins.Though lively in the middle of the field, Cork were unable to penetrate the rock solid Tipperary defence and found themselves with only one point to their name in the first quarter.

Things took a turn for the worst for Cork when Mark Kehoe ran through on goal and with five defenders around him, the penalty was inevitable and Morris dispatched it to the back of the net. Conor Cahalane managed Cork’s second in the 16th minute before adding another less than a minute later. Cahalane’s scores settled the Rebels and they began to win possession in their half-back line which they expertly worked up. Robbie O’Flynn came storming into the game and with Cahalane dominant at midfield, they soon reduced the deficit to just one point.

Cork have proven all year that they can blow teams away in a matter of seconds and the game threatened to go that way as Cahalane made a superb solo run through the heart of the Tipperary defence before drilling the ball into Barry Hogan’s net. Further points from Flynn and Declan Dalton saw they go into the dressing room with a two-point advantage, despite the slow start.

Tipperary began the second half as they did the first and had soon regained the lead through Jerome Cahill and Cian Darcy. But they were also wasteful with possession, sending two shots wides in quick succession. Their lead was soon extinguished as their ill-discipline cost them, Dalton taking full advantage. The Fr O’Neill’s man almost had a goal to his name only to be denied by an on-the-line double save by the retreating Tipperary defence.

Tipperary had done a decent job nullifying Darragh Fitzgibbon but the midfield pairing of Fitzgibbon and Cahalane came roaring back into the game with a point apiece to level the game. As the game entered it’s final 10 minutes, Ger Collins saved another goal opportunity by the Premier County.It was Tipperary’s midfield that came to their rescue just moments later when a tenacious Stephen Nolan finished a well-worked team move to leave a goal between the sides.

Cork were never going to let them away lightly and Dalton, together with substitute Brian Turnbull, quickly brought the game level again with seconds remaining in normal time. Cork seemed far hungrier for possession and they were soon rewarded when Tim O’Mahony put them one point ahead. Tipperary on the other hand, made poor decisions on the ball, allowing Cork to easily overturn.

Just as it looked to be Cork’s day, Tipperary’s substitutes came to the rescue. Conor Stakelum bundled the ball into the back of the net before David Gleeson scored an insurance point. Cork had a late free which Billy Hennessy dropped into the square but as Tipperary emerged with possession, the referee blew his whistle. Tipperary are U21 hurling champions for the first time since 2010.

Cork: Ger Collins; David Lowney, David Griffin, Niall O’Leary; Eoghan Murphy, Mark Coleman, Billy Hennessy; Conor Cahalane (1-2), Darragh Fitzgibbon (0-1); Robbie O’Flynn (0-3), Declan Dalton (0-4, 4f), Shane Kingston (0-1); Liam Healy, Tim O’Mahony (0-1), Jack O’Connor (0-1).

Substitutions: Brian Turnbull (0-1) for Healy (38) Ger Millerick for O’Connor (56)

Tipperary: Barry Hogan; Eoghan Connolly, Brian McGrath, Killian O’Dwyer; Podge Campion, Robert Byrne, Dillon Quirke; Stephen Nolan (0-1), Ger Browne (0-1); Colin English, Jerome Cahill (0-4), Paudie Feehan (0-1); Jake Morris (1-4, 1pen, 3f), Mark Kehoe, Cian Darcy (0-2).

Substitutions: Conor Stakelum (1-0) for Feehan (29) David Gleeson (0-1) for Darcy (40) Craig Morgan for Killian O’Dwyer (49) Paddy Cadell for Campion (51) Lyndon Fairbrother for English (60)


About Marisa Kennedy

Marisa is a Digital Journalist with Pundit Arena. She is a former reporter with Sporting Limerick and is a huge fan of the GAA. You can contact her at marisa@punditarena.com or on Twitter