Referee shoved and escorted off the pitch after Connacht club semi-final

Connacht club semi-final

Referee Jerome Henry was shoved and confronted by Mountbellew-Moylough players after losing to Pádraig Pearses in the Connacht club football semi-final.

Mountbellew-Moylough players were incensed after the game, primarily due to an advanced mark that wasn’t awarded to them late on in the game, which would have given them the opportunity to take the lead in injury time.

Instead, Pádraig Pearses turned the ball over soon after Mountbellew-Moylough unsuccessfully appealed for what should have been given as a mark, and the Roscommon side stormed up the pitch soon after to score the winning point.

Tempers boil over at Hyde Park.

Henry blew the final whistle shortly after, and was then shoved in the back by a Mountbellew-Moylough player, before several players from the defeated Galway club aggressively confronted him.

The referee was escorted off the pitch by several stewards and match officials in response to the Mountbellew-Moylough player’s protest, in an unsavoury end to the Connacht club semi-final.

Pádraig Pearses will progress to the Connacht club final to take on Mayo champions Knockmore in Ballina on Sunday, January 9th, 2022, having beaten Mountbellew-Moylough by a scoreline of 1-8 to 1-7.

Pádraig Pearses will play in their first senior Connacht club championship final.

Although the game was marred by ugly scenes after the final whistle blew, Pádraig Pearses have plenty to celebrate, as they will appear in the senior Connacht club championship final for the first time.

Substitute Tom Butler was the hero for the Roscommon champions in the end, as he scored a point from 40 metres out to win the game in the dying minutes of injury time.

A number of off the ball scuffles broke out after the winning point, which led to a player each from Pádraig Pearses and Mountbellew-Moylough being shown black cards, shortly before the final whistle was blown.

Read More About: