Home GAA Wexford, Galway and Cork Advance In U21 Provincial Hurling Semi-Finals

Wexford, Galway and Cork Advance In U21 Provincial Hurling Semi-Finals

Bord Gais Energy Leinster U21 Hurling Championship Quarter-Final, Innovate Wexford Park, Wexford 1/6/2016 Wexford vs Dublin Wexfords’ Cathal Dunbar and Shane Barrett of Dublin Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/James Crombie

TG4 played host to a series of crucial underage games on Wednesday night.

The live game saw Galway take on provincial champions Kilkenny in one half of the Leinster hurling semi-finals. Galway blitzed Offaly 1-20 to 0-08 in the quarter final, and continued that form in earnest tonight against the Cats.

The Tribesmen went into the break in Tullamore with a two point lead, courtesy of points from James Bergin and Evan Niland, who scored a goal in the 20th minute after a run saw him put the sliotar into the net on the ‘keeper’s near side.

In the second half, a point from Kevin Cooney was followed by a goal from Sean Blehane to give Galway a six point lead.

Cooney and Niland cancelled out two points from Kilkenny to maintain their lead with 15 minutes to go. Cianan Fahy scored a third Galway goal to hammer home their advantage, despite a late fightback featuring a goal from John Donnelly.

Galway ran out 3-13 to 1-17 winners, and will face Wexford in the provincial final on July 4.

Wexford saw off Dublin in Parnell Park by three points, 3-15 to 3-12. The Model County prevailed thanks to second half goals from Joe O’Connor, Rory O’Connor and Michael Dwyer.

Three points down at half time, Wexford were able to defeat the hosts despite a brace of goals from Colin Currie.

In Munster, Cork overcame Waterford in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

At two points all ten minutes in, John Paul Lucey scored a composed, well-taken goal for the visitors.

The Déise scored a further two points to take a five point lead, with Declan Dalton of Cork keeping the gap modest. Jack O’Connor also chimed in to make the gap three at 1-08 to 0-08 at half time.

The sides traded points early in the restart, with Cork eventually drawing level. Waterford went two clear again through Jack Prendergast, but it would prove to be their last time in the lead.

Cork went level with twelve minutes left on the clock, and once Daire Connery put them two ahead, the Rebels never relinquished their advantage. Late points from Liam Healy and Conor Cahalane secured the victory at 0-23 to 1-17.

Cork will play either Tipperary or All-Ireland champions Limerick, who play in the other semi-final tomorrow night, with the Munster final also taking place on the fourth of July.

About Chris Kelleher

Student whose interests lie in sports ranging from Darts to MMA, with the likes of Golf, Boxing and Soccer in between. Closet wrestling fan and a lover of sports psychology and stiff jabs.