Close sidebar

World Records (No.13) – Eddie Quigley to Preston North End  

This week’s world transfer record segment looks back at the move of Eddie Quigley to Preston North End.

Ever since the introduction of professionalism in football by the English FA in 1885, there have been 43 world transfer records. Over the next few months, Karl Graham will be bringing us up to date with the history behind every single record. A new one shall be revealed on the site every Friday, from the very first one in 1893 to the most recent in 2013, and who knows there may even be a new record set before we reach the end.
No. 13 Eddie Quigley to Preston North End

While it took a long time for Bernabé Ferreyra to break Johnny Morris’ transfer record, it lasted just a few months before it was broken yet again. It was England who took back the record, after Eddie Quigley’s move from Sheffield Wednesday to Preston North End.

Edward “Eddie” Quigley was born on the 13th of July 1921 in Bury, Lancashire. He was a forward, who used his quick thinking and precise passing to constantly threaten opposition defences. While most forwards preferred to stay up front and wait for chances, Quigley, in a manner similar to Wayne Rooney, preferred to drop deep and take control of the ball.

Another similarity he had to Rooney was his body shape. He was a burly man who didn’t look like an obvious athlete.

Quigley began his career in 1941 as a full-back for his hometown club. It was during a game at Millwall, that his true potential was discovered. As an emergency, he was switched to centre forward and at the end of the game he left the pitch, having scored five goals.

He impressed as an inside-forward and in 1947 he joined Sheffield Wednesday for £12,000. He spent a goal laden two years at Hillsborough Stadium, plundering 50 goals in just 76 appearances, before Preston stepped in with their record breaking offer. The fee was £26,500, a little over £840,000 of today’s money.

Despite Quigley helping Preston to lift the Second Division title in 1951, he never quite fit into the squad. Blackburn Rovers came knocking with a tempting offer of £20,000 and Quigley was off to his fourth Division Two side.

Five years at Ewood Park saw Quigley produce his best form, with an impressive 95 goals in 166 appearances. His powerful physique, matched with his ability to score from long-range gave Division Two defenders little chance of stopping him.

1956 saw Quigley leave Ewood Park to return to Bury. At 35 years-of-age he was well past his best so after making just 10 appearances, he called time on his professional playing career.

With an ambition to continue a career in football, Quigley joined non-league Mossley to learn his trade as a manager. It was a slow process, but eventually he started to achieve success with the side from Greater Manchester. He impressed by winning the League Cup with them in 1961, even managing to score 55 goals during his four years managing the club.

Bury saw potential in him once more and brought him back to Gigg Lane as youth coach and chief scout in 1962. He built a defensively strong team which turned Bury into Fourth Division champions.

Four years later Stockport County offered him the manager’s job, where he remained for another four years. He joined Blackburn Rovers as Jack Marshall’s assistant manager but it was well known that he was in full charge of the coaching.

Following Marshall’s resignation in 1967, Quigley took charge of the team, but after failing to gain promotion during the next two seasons and a bad start to his third, he switched roles with his assistant Johnny Carey.

With Quigley unhappy at losing his influence over the day-to-day coaching of the senior side, and the club in a dire financial state, Rovers were relegated in 1971. Quigley and Carey were sacked as a result.

1976 saw Quigley return to Stockport County and in his first season he, they knocked Blackburn out of the League Cup. Their form wouldn’t last however, and Quigley was sacked for the second time in his career.

Before retiring in 1981, Quigley scouted for Blackburn Rovers as well as Blackpool.  He is fondly remembered as one of the first managers, whose philosophy on the game was to use astute tactics to win a game.

Edward Quigley died in Blackpool in the 1997, aged 76.

Karl Graham, Pundit Arena.

Read More About: , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at