Close sidebar

Watch: Theo Walcott Scores A Hat-Trick As Arsenal Brutally Demolish Southampton

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 28: Theo Walcott of Arsenal celebrates with team mates after scoring his sides fourth goal during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Southampton and Arsenal at St Mary's Stadium on January 28, 2017 in Southampton, England. (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

In their comeback starts from injury, Danny Welbeck and Theo Walcott gave Arsenal a timely reminder of what they have been missing.

The England internationals were in devastating form on Saturday evening, scoring all the goals between them as the Gunners ran out comfortable 5-0 winners against Southampton in an FA Cup fourth-round tie at St. Mary’s.

Both sides made a whole host of changes from their usual starting lineups, but the feeling that Arsenal’s starting eleven would be too much for Southampton’s young side proved to be accurate – thanks in no small part to star turns from Welbeck and Walcott.

Making his first start since May, it took Welbeck just fifteen minutes to break the deadlock, arriving on the end of a fantastic Lucas Pérez through ball before deftly lobbing home goalkeeper Harry Lewis.

The second came just over five minutes later, Welbeck brilliantly taking down a long pass from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain before calmly slotting past the onrushing Lewis.

The tie was effectively ended as a contest ten minutes before half time, Welbeck the architect this time as he whipped the ball across the face of goal for Theo Walcott to steer home against his former club.

Welbeck was replaced by Alexis Sánchez just after the hour mark, and it was the Chilean who was to have a big hand in Walcott’s second, Arsenal’s fourth, to add an extra layer of gloss to the scoreline. Walcott has not played in over a month so he, like Welbeck, will be pleased to get back among the goals so soon into his comeback.


The icing on the cake, and Walcott’s hat-trick, came with just over five minutes remaining again with Alexis playing a large role as he squared it for the unmarked 27-year-old to slot home and put the final nail in the coffin.

5-0 it finished, and Arsenal move safely through to the fifth round for the seventh year in succession. Manager Arsene Wenger had to look on from the stands as he began his four-match suspension but will be pleased by what he saw from his side in this match.

Arsenal's French manager Arsene Wenger (C) gives instructions to the dugout from the director's box during the English FA Cup fourth round football match between Southampton and Arsenal at St Mary's in Southampton, southern England on January 28, 2017. / AFP / Adrian DENNIS / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo credit should read ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Southampton, meanwhile, downhearted as they may be, still have an EFL Cup final against Manchester United at Wembley next month to come.

Sign Up For The LOI Arena Newsletter

Read More About: , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.