Close sidebar

Seamus Coleman On The Exact Moment He Knew His Injury Was Serious

DUBLIN, IRELAND - MARCH 24: Players react as Neil Taylor of Wales (3) is shown a red card by referee Nicola Rizzoli and is sent off after a challenge on Seamus Coleman of the Republic of Ireland (2) during the FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier between Republic of Ireland and Wales at Aviva Stadium on March 24, 2017 in Dublin, Ireland. (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Seamus Coleman has begun the long road to recovery following the horrific leg-breaking tackle he suffered in last month’s World Cup qualifier against Wales in Dublin.

The Ireland captain has expressed his intention to return to fitness as the same player he was and has dismissed talk that an injury such as the one he has suffered means a player can no longer reach that level again.

Speaking on The Everton Show, the 28-year-old said:

“I’ve read different articles. I’ve no fear I won’t be coming back the same player, there’s none of that nonsense. I know I’ll be back, I won’t be afraid of my first tackle or anything like that – that’s not a problem for me, psychologically.

“I think the time will be the [difficult] one for me, because you’re used to playing every week and training every day. But it’s part and parcel of it and you just have to get on with it.

“The journey back started the day the operation was done. Once that had been done and everything went well, with the support of my family and the people here and back home, I knew I could start that journey.

“It will be tough at times but I’m looking forward to the challenge. It hasn’t been smooth for me to get where I am now and this is another little challenge. I’ll have good and bad days but I’ve still got the best job in the world.”

Coleman also spoke for the first time on the moment he knew something serious had occurred following the tackle from Neil Taylor, who this week was handed a two-game ban following his dismissal in Dublin.

 “I knew instantly (it was a serious injury). I had never broken a bone in my life but my initial thought was to just hold it and make sure nobody would try to take a quick free-kick or anything like that.

“It was a case of trying to stay calm and look after it until the doctor came on. When he came on, I told him it’s broken and I’m sure he probably knew as well. Once I knew they had it under control, I think the pain started to hit me then.

“I’ve watched it all back. There are some players that wouldn’t want to but I think it’s best to just get it out of the way. I’ve seen the footage and the pictures, I’ve got over all of that. Obviously, it wasn’t nice – but it happened.

“There will be a lot of treatment as well to help the swelling, but the pain has gone and that’s a massive bonus. I’m quite upbeat at the minute.”

The Everton defender is also looking forward to returning to Goodison Park as a spectator as he starts the road to recovery.

“I am looking forward to going back to Goodison again. I would prefer to be going back and putting my boots on, but it’ll be good to go to the game, seeing the lads and supporting them. I’ve been supporting them from home and things have been going well at the moment.”

Damien McEvoy, Pundit Arena

Read More About: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.