Close sidebar

Round Up: Thrilling Night In The Capital One Cup

23 games on Tuesday night and plenty of goals in the 2nd round of the Capital One Cup. Stephen Loftus reviews each of the cup ties.

There may not have been any of the bigger Premier League clubs playing Tuesday night but there was no lack of action with a nine goal thriller at the Stadium of Light and seven games going to extra time. There were also the usual early round shocks with an appalling Watford side crashing out at Preston and QPR succumbing to Carlisle.

The pressure has eased slightly on Dick Advocaat as he saw his team triumph 6-3 over Exeter with Jermain Defoe bagging a hat trick and Jack Rodwell netting a brace in a frantic encounter which saw six first half goals. Although the eventual result was pleasing, Advocaat cannot be content with his side’s shocking defending in the first half as Exeter were gifted two goals via comedic defending.

New signing Florian Thauvin put on a show at St James’ Park with a goal and three assists in Newcastle’s 4-1 win over Northampton. The former Marseille man got on the scoresheet after just three minutes and then provided the assist for Siem de Jong to put the home side 2-0 up five minutes later. Northampton pulled one back with a penalty but second half goals from defenders Mike Williamson and Daryl Janmaat saw the home side sail into the third round.

Bournemouth showed their Premier League class in a serene 4-0 victory away to Hartlepool. Yann Kermogant opened the scoring for the Cherries with Dan Gosling and a brace for Junior Stanislas adding some gloss to the scoreline. Leicester also progressed to the third round with a comfortable 4-1 win at Bury. Winger Joe Dodoo scored a hat trick for Claudio Ranieri’s side while record signing Andrej Kramaric also netted but the game was marred by Bury fans invading the pitch and clashing with some Leicester players before the end of the game.

Quique Sanchez Flores’ first taste of the League cup ended in defeat as his ten man Watford side went down to Preston. Former Manchester United defender Marnick Vermijl was the only goalscorer in a game which Watford never settled into and were restricted to very few chances by the Championship side. In contrast to Watford, Swansea secured a bloodless victory in their second round tie against York. Nathan Dyer opened the scoring after just two minutes before Matt Grimes and Marvin Emnes made sure of the victory in a 3-0 win.

Aston Villa made heavy weather of defeating Notts County but eventually secured the result in extra time with a 5-3 win. Scott Sinclair’s clinical finishing was the difference between the sides as he scored three goals, two in normal time and then the winner early in the first period of extra time. Jack Grealish had a very good game for the hosts with two assists and had a large influence on proceedings in midfield.

Crystal Palace were also taken to extra time by their perceived weaker opposition but were able to pull away with three goals in the extra period and a 4-1 win over Shrewsbury. Shrewsbury took the lead early but Dwight Gayle levelled matters from the penalty spot after Wilfried Zaha was brought down. Palace’s second goal also came from the spot as Glenn Murray gave them the lead in extra time. Two quick goals from Lee Chung Yong and Zaha ended matters as Shrewsbury eventually grew tired after long periods of defending.

Forgotten man Ricky van Wolfswinkel put Norwich into the third round with a 2-1 victory over Rotherham. The former Sporting Lisbon striker doubled the Premier League side’s lead before Paul Green scored a consolation for Rotherham. Van Wolfswinkel’s goals could be key for Norwich if they are to stay in the Premier League this season. A double from Ross McCormack put Fulham into the next round with a 2-0 win over Sheffield United while there was also a brace for Wes Thomas at St Andrews where Birmingham secured a 2-0 win against Gillingham.

Championship high flyers Middlesborough came back from a goal down to progress over Burton Albion in extra time. Boro looked in trouble after 20 minutes when George Friend turned the ball into his own net but Aitor Karanka introduced former Espanyol player Christian Stuani at half time and the substitute repaid his manager’s faith by scoring twice in a 2-1 victory. Ipswich, who top the championship, beat Doncaster 4-1 with David McGoldrick getting on the scoresheet while there were also wins for Charlton, Wolves, Hull, Walsall and Sheffield Wednesday.

One of the shocks of the night came at Loftus Road where QPR went down to Carlisle by two goals to one. Derek Asamoah put Carlisle ahead only for Jay Emmanuel Thomas to equalise for the hosts. It seemed inevitable that QPR would get the winner but they were undone by a fine counter attack with Jason Kennedy firing in the winner. MK Dons caused a minor surprise at home versus Cardiff City with Carl Murphy the hero with the winner in extra time.

Stoke survived a major scare as they progressed on penalties at Luton Town after a 1-1 draw during 120 minutes of poor football. Jonathan Walters opened the scoring for a strong looking Stoke side after being played through by a delightful pass from Stephen Ireland. Luton however, managed the level matters in the dying embers of the game through Cameron McGeehan. The first 12 penalties of the shootout were scored until the hosts finally missed and USA international Geoff Cameron stepped up to dispatch the winning penalty.

The only other game which needed penalties to see a result was between West Brom and Port Vale. Tony Pulis’ side were without a league victory coming into the game but got a much needed boost on the cup front with a 5-3 win on penalties. Defender James Chester stroked home the winning penalty for the Baggies.

Sign Up For The LOI Arena Newsletter


Read More About: , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.